Trout Stream Special Regs?

• VikeFan

With special size slots, live bait restrictions, and CR- only regulations having been in place for several years now in southeast Minnesota, what does everyone think those special regs have accomplished so far?

I was born and raised in Fillmore County, and own land there, so I guess I am still a local. Unlike most locals, I supported the special regulations in the hopes they would make for better trout fishing. I don’t fish SE Minnesota for trout all that much since I no longer live in the area, but I do put in some time on the South Branch around Forestville, and several small “wild” trout streams in Fillmore County each year. With those facts, especially my limited time on the streams, in mind, here is what I have found so far on waters with various special regs in place:

On the South Branch of the Root, where a 12″-16″ slot is in place, I think there are more trout, which is good. But, I haven’t seen anything (in terms of big trout) to make me think the slot has succeeded in growing bigger fish.

On the smaller creeks with wild fish, there are also 12″-16″ slots, along with artificials-only regulations. I believe there are definitely more fish in those streams. However, I haven’t noticed much of an increase in the numbers of larger (14″+) trout, and I have not caught a trout over 16″ in either the South Branch or the smaller creeks.

StaleMackrel

O.K. Here are my thoughts. On the N. Br. of WW the fishing is very bad compared to 5 years ago. This is the area above Baily’s crossing to where the Logan Creek comes in. A dramatic loss of number of fish and size. The reason that I can understand is that early season washouts has washed out the “reds” (fertilized eggs). The Middle Br. of WW in the catch and release section above the park to Callahan’s Hill is terrible over the last three years! Like I used to catch 20 plus trout in a three hour fishing time down to 0 to 3 in the same stretch the last three years. The reason I believe from what I have heard is that there are some people fishing that section and keeping the fish. Some people just defy the regulations and want to prove a point by harvesting the fish and they are not being replanted. The problem is not enough DNR Conservation Officers to patrol these areas. I also know that on the Middle Br. you will see bait containers and forked sticks along the shore which tells me meat fisherman. Actually, I would like to see the regs moved off and do some fall stocking. I will continue to hook and release but for me it was better without the regulations. If you cannot enforce a law then do not have one! I loved to fish the WW when it had fall stocking in all three branches. Also, the best trout fishing I’ve had in the WW this year was in the S.Br. Oh, well, just my take from my years of fishing these streams. Thanks for bringing this topic up.

MarkPete

Great topic. My experience has been limited. I fish less than I used to. When I have been able to get out I’ve been catching bigger trout than I used to. I’ve been getting a lot over 14″. Most of my fishing has been on streams that aren’t affected by the new regs so I guess this might not be too relevant. Also, most of my fishing is now done around sunrise rather than midday.

I support the regs. I think they will lead to more big fish. I wish I had more time to test it out. I don’t have much experience with Whitewater. I heard on the radio today that the middle branch WW exceeded the MPCA’s allowable level of herbicide by a factor of five. When considering effectiveness of regs we should also be aware of things like this. I beleive a change in the CRP laws occurred at about the same time that the new regs started. This means more washouts in spring and more agricultural pollution in the streams.

I’d love to see what others think about the effectiveness of the new regs.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I chime in since I fish quite a bit. The regs. have definitely worked better in some place than in others. The elimination of supplemental stocking has definitely created a void in some areas in terms of pure fish numbers. In other streams that already had tremendous fish populations and are now getting intensive habitat improvement (HI) work done to them, like Trout Run, the numbers of bigger fish has definitely increased.

I was in favor of the regs at the time and still am several years later. There are perhaps some streams that need to be re-evaluated as to their sprcial reg. That’s why they are called experimental regulations at this point.

I’d say you’ll continue to see theDSNR continue to go like mad in the summer months to do more HI (along with the local TU chapters), acquire more easements, and probably start to go after the negative effects of farming, particularly our new found craze with government subsidized ehtanol in this country and the havoc it will create environmentally.

D.A.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.