I’m Back

• smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

For those folks that have been trying to get in touch with me tese last several days, I would just like to let you know that I did not fall off the face of the earth. On a spurr of the moment urge, Sue and I took off Thursday night and ended spending the 4th along the North Shore of Superior. I atempted to sell some spinners but all the trout streams and rivers got the best of me. I’ll try to get in a report later Wedsday, But with over 150 photos and only space for 4 I am having trouble deciding which ones to place on the report. Waterfalls, Streams, landscape?? hmm..
    John Eggers

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

But with over 150 photos and only space for 4 I am having trouble deciding which ones to place on the report. Waterfalls, Streams, landscape?? hmm..

hey john, what about fish???

actually, i’ve gone fishing along the north shore 3-4 times, with not a fish to show for my efforts .

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Although the streams are extremly beautiful with an ample supply of forage fish,crayfish, and insects, the dark water heats up fast. Water temps in the 70’s. I only caught 5 trout the whole trip.
    John Eggers.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I’m not sure that granite bottom streams are worthy of the description of ample insect supply. There’s a reason why the trout on the North Shore don’t grow to be as broad shouldered and large as the ones in southeast Minnesota, and a great deal of it has to do with food base. I’m not disagreeing with you – perhaps you did find some insect life. However, the insect life is not as prolific and the consistent hatches of mayflies and caddis that we see just doesn’t happen up there.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Never had much luck in the streams up there but I have had my share of fun in the rivermouths also the Two Harbors breakwall. It’s amazing to live so close to a great opportunity to catch a lake trout from shore – not to mention all the salmon and other trout.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Won’t argue with you on that Dave, all I do is report on what I observe. The rocks and logs that I overturned as well as the shoreline plants held a wealth of insects and other life, maybe not the kind trout like, or maybe the hatch comes to late for the trout.
    Steve,thanks for the response. What you say reflects the response I got from almost everyone I talked to. There can be no question about the great quality of fishing along the shores and the rivermouths of Lake Superior. I for one will not write off nor quit fishing this area based on the experience gained from a smathering of fishing done at the poorest time of the year. My reports are focused on showing folks as to what is going on at the time and to try to convey the flavor of the area and what to expect. In no way do I want to discourage anyone from fishing the Superior area, in fact my goal is just the oppisite, for the larger the dissplacement of anglers, the less pressure we will have on any one stream. With this in mind I try to show streams in the most possitive light, but the fact is I only caught and released 5 small trout.
    John

JimW
    SE MN

John,

I tell ya, those streams up there are a real treat to fish!

If there are decent Fall rains, some of them can really turn on with some salmon runs in October. I am speaking of those tribs to Lake Superior obviously. ALso, I love getting out of my normal stomping grounds, exploring new waters, whether on foot or boat.
    Unfortunately, God won’t allow us enough time to fish them all!
    Thanks for the report and we need to hook up for some walkin’!! Maybe this Fall or late Summer?

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

HYBES
    SE MN

Talking to locals on the North Shore over the years I try to gather fishing info from them and found that many DONT fish the streams and especially DONT fish the lake. Has any body else noticed this or are they just tight lipped ?

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Yeah Jim I know what you mean about not enough time, and I would sure enjoy a gettogether on one of the streams this year. Let’s see if we can do that.

HYBES I know just what your saying, it’s almost like most folks don’t know whats going on or they don’t want to say. I did get some recommendations about the lake, but even the DNR people I talked too, had almost no idea about rivers or streams. I do feel that with that many streams being managed for trout, there has to be a few that have fair fishing, it’s just a matter of finding them. Keep in mind that a lot of the streams here in SE Minnesota can get very poor during certain times of the year. If one was to do a quick scan of these he would most likely write off that part of the state as well.

JOHN

JOHN

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I have a good friend who is an avid fly angler (and TU guy from Duluth) who makes several trips down to southeast Mn each year despite 253 designated streams it the Aroowhead area. The answer is pretty simple as to why – the quality of trout angling here in this state is unparalleled. Many of those streams have low fish populations, minimal fish growth due to limited insect quantity, low stream flows that also translate into high stream temps at times, throw in location and the dificulty of fly angling the North Shore area in July and I understand why he comes to southeast Minnesota. Just like the reason I stay here and don’t have many inclinations to drive up there to fish. I have plenty to do here anyway.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Dave, that definitely confirms what we’ve seen and heard so far. Thanks.
    So far this thread has been a good source of smething new to talk about.
    John

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.