root river report

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey all,

i got out fishing for a couple hours this past weekend down around lanesboro and preston. i was affraid that the rains from last week would have the root high and muddy but that was not the case. the river was actually in excelent condition for both spinners and flies .

the fishing turned out to be excelent also . i caught 56 trout in total just fishing an hour friday and a couple hours saturday. the fly rod worked best for me, out catching the spinning rod 4/1. the average size was better on the spinners, but thats because the little ones can’t get the spinners in there mouths as easy a a fly . all the fish i caught on the fly rod where caught on pheasant tail nymphs. there was a fair amount of surface activity going on saturday morning, but i was cathcing so well with the nymph that i never even tried anything else.

as i said before the size of the fish was better on the spinners but i did mange to catch two 15 1/2″ on a fly. these were the biggest fish for the weekend.

i think that rain we got last week really helped out because the water’s in good shape now and the fish are really biting well. now if there were only away to get rid of all them stupid nettles….

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Wow, sounds like you hit a major bite. Did you catch most of your fish in rapids or pools? A report like that makes me think I should save some time for the trout steams besides the Mississippi River. Congrats on the big catch!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

oh yeah, i meant to put that in there . almost all of the fish came from faster moving water and rapids. the slow water and deeper pools didn’t produce much for me.

i’d say if you get a chance, right now would be the perfect time to get off the Mississippi and do a little trout fishing. that’s been my problem the last few months, every spare second i’ve got i’ve been on the big river. but now with the high water i think the bite has slowed quite a bit down there.
    ….the only downfall fishing for trout right now are the nettles .

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Great report Jake! Thanks for sharing.
    John Eggers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.