low water trout

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

After a spring of low water levels and flows on the creeks I was wondering how everyone did overall and what if any different tactics they used?

I found that I had more success fishing the lower sections of streams, in fact, I had more success fishing below the designated trout water than I had where it was designated. I also caught bigger trout in these sections. Another thing I noticed while fishing the upper sections of streams was an apparant lack of minnows. I saw very little sign of baitfish. Has anyone else had similiar expieriences?

Hopefully the deluge of rains lately around here will help with the water flow and level.

JimW
    SE MN

What I have gathered over the years is no secret. Water IS the habitat for trout. When the habitat goes down, hiding places for the trout and for their forage diminishes. Also, aquatic plants and insects would be effected.

So it only makes sense to find areas of stream that meet temperature requirements, offers some protection and enough food along with natural habitat(water).

Generally, larger bodies of water that some of the smaller streams feed into will offer a temporary “hang out” for trout. More water equals more habitat, food and safety.

Granted, the larger runs and holes in the smaller streams will hold fish as well, but with gin clear waters, these trout might be more weary and not as easy to coax into biting artificial presentations.

This makes trout very vulnerable to predators both “critter” and human! So leaving some of these dwindling waters alone until waters reside, might not be a bad idea.

Head to larger waters until these Spring rains bring up the habitat!
    Mobile fish they are, so with a few extra inches of “habitat”, you’ll soon be casting back in places that are now, only gastropods drying in the sun!lol

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

I have to agree with both of you, I have experienced much the same. The only thing that I would add is that even in low water feeding habits seem to change from low water in spring to low water in the fall.
    John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.