Opening day C&R

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Hey just curious how everyone did today on the firtst day of catch and release …I decided to go out to my home waters in the Etna Creek area and Forestville did pretty good for 2 hours of fun. Had a tough time not spooking the trout though the streams are crystal clear u have to approach pools and runs from downstream to prevent spooking the fish..ended the afternoon with around a dozen fish in the 12 to 14 inch range with 2 pushing 17 and one beauty at 19 with all the beautiful colors. The smaller fish seem to be sitting right in the runs with the larger ones seemed to come from the end where it dumps into slack water. Lost a few though with the barbless hooks you gotta keep those lines tight lol….or maybe my head out of my a$$ oh well it was so beautiful and i got to scout up on my gobblers too …the bate of choice seemed to be those spendy little floating rapalas the blue and silver seemed best the fish are biting so get out there and enjoy this weather now i just gotta find out if i m in trouble for skipping my classes at RCTC well how did everyone else out there do today!

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I couldn’t get out yesterday, but I fished Monday – very windy and some rain as well. I nymphed fish and threw streamers later in the day. It was a productive day in terms of fish numbers (35 or so caught and released). Normally with the onset of clouds, which happened to show on Monday, the BWO’s start to really get going at this time of the year. However, the clouds brought colder and windier weather in this case and the hatch never materialized. I have no doubt with 65 degree weather yesterday that there were bugs popping up everywhere.

I used to fish with spinners and Rapalas years back and caught some of my largest trout on them. They are deadly year round, but especially right now as the waters start to warm a bit and some of those bigger fish go on feed mode. I will be out Thursday looking specifically for those big fish, only I’ll have the long rod and not a spinning rod .

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

I was out yesterday, My first fish was a fat Brown that bounced around 20″, but I wanted to check out other water so I spent a lot of time traveling. I caught 12 all day, but after that first trout I had a hard time setteling down.
    At 5:30 I went to the meeting in Lanesboro. What a beautiful day!
    John

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I got out on the Wonderful Whitewater yesterday…took the family down for a picinic and some kite flying at the park…great weather for the kites …and of coarse could’nt leave the poles at home..( )..though I only fished for about an hour or so …the fishing was …fantastic…threw micro jigs on 4# test and altra light spinning gear….the trout loved it…I loved it!!! an excellant day all around….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.