3/14/2003 – MN Rivers by John Eggers

• flinthills76
    Winona, MN

A buddy and I had chance to get out this morning before run off started to hit extremely hard and turned the water nasty colors.
    We decided to start at Hemingway Creek. We faired pretty well. We used a #14 Orange scud and landed some nice brookies. One was 12 inches the other was about 13. We landed 6 others in the 9-10 range. We didn’t hike back as far as we could of, decided that the water was way too brown. Another dude, didn’t catch much at all on hare’s ears. It was a good day. We explored some other creeks for later this spring. Has anyone fished Torkleson or Ferguson creek? They were also muddy but looked great for later.
    happy fishing.
    Flinthills76

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I stopped to check Pine and the Rush but decided to move further south – I’m glad I did and had some good fishing before noon using scuds and olive/black buggers. Glad to hear you had a good outing. Torkelson has been under habitat improvement by the DNR for the past year and may be worth checking into. I fished it pre-HI a few years back and wasn’t overly impressed. I can’t tell you much about Ferguson, but I can tell you that by 2:00 today not much of anything was fishable: Pine, Rush, Bee, Crooked, Gribben, Diamond, Duschee – all were not in good shape. However, I’m willing to bet that by Monday there will be much better water conditions.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

I am sure glad to hear reports about those Brookies! The decline of Brook Trout has been a concern of mine for the last 15 years. Haven’t been on Torkleson or Ferguson for a couple of years, maybe I can get out later this week and check them out.
    Thanks for the info.
    John Eggers

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

no kidding, a 13″ brook trout is a dandy fish. they are so cool lookin.

i have only caught a few brook trout in my days. but i haven’t really been on any streams with a large pop. of them either. the only place i can think of right now is the whitewater branch of trout run.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

Brookies: WW Upper Middle Branch, Cold Spring Brook, Trout Valley, Snake Creek, Maple, Wisel, Nepstad, SFRR, Swede Bottom Creek, Winnebago, Crooked Creek, Beaver Creek…I’m sure there are more than these – these are just the ones I can think of where I have caught brookies in the past.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

thats funny. i’ve fished about half of those you just mentioned but have never caught a brook trout in any of them.

the other half i’ve never even heard of.

flinthills76
    Winona, MN

HEy thanks for the responses. I may have to check out those creeks later in the spring. Torkleson just looks like it has a sweet layout and am anxious to see it because I have heard it is not that well fished.
    Had a chance to get out to Garvin Brook on Sunday and did really well. I caught a dozen or so. It was definitely the cleanest of all the creeks I fished at throughout the weekend. The water was a little murky but they were very aggressive.
    Take care fellas and good fishing
    craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.