Minnesota River Conditions

• larry_haugh
    MN

Water temps 35F today. Looks to be the high so far this early season. Flow is picking up and river levels are low in the lower portion. NOAA is predicting a 8 ft rise starting early on Thur’s and working Friday starting to Hit the peak at crest on Sat/Sun This is for areas by 35W.
    I would be very surprised to see levels change more than a few feet.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Something busted loose recently down there. I went down to Fort Snelling on my lunch break to check the ramp and the river is full of iceburgs. There is a bunch of ice piled up on the ramp. I hope this clears up soon, as it looks a little to scary for me to attempt.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

NWS is talking about rising rivers with the next system coming in. They are talking about thunderstorms with 1″ rainfalls possible which would spike river levels and flow.

Quote:

IN ADDITION…RAINFALL FROM THIS SYSTEM…COUPLED WITH THE
    THAWING SOIL…MAY CAUSE RIVERS AND SMALL STREAMS TO RISE TO BANK
    FULL OR PERHAPS ABOVE BANK FULL EARLY NEXT WEEK. THOSE WITH
    HYDROLOGIC CONCERNS SHOULD MONITOR LATER OUTLOOKS FOR ADDITIONAL
    DETAILS.

And if there are still ice jams up stream, you have the potential for one of those to bust loose after holding back some rain. I haven’t seen the Minnesota yet, I am taking a look on my way back from Fleet Farm, but I am guess there is no way that rises enough to go out of it’s banks. However it could get a big bump in a short period of time.

larry_haugh
    MN

We had a chance to get out on the river today. An awesome way to spend a few hours running on the Minnesota river.

Current Conditions: March 21, 2009

Minimal ice, back water areas are still frozen. There is a fair amount of smaller debris in the water, most likely that it is material that fell on the ice over the winter.

Water temps were 34-36

River levels have increased over the last week, with a gain in rise of more than 2 feet in the lower section of the Minnesota.

Flow has more than doubled and on its way to tripling in a couple days.

The upcoming days with the rain amounts in the forecast should be interesting to monitor as we get closer we will be able to tell rising levels more accurately.

A quick reminder on safety.

1. Please remember to always wear your PFD in cold water conditions, you will not last long if you should find yourself in the water.

2. As the water level rises and flows increase, keep a sharp eye out for debris coming down stream, you can see some very large logs and stumps this time of year. (I’m talking as big as cars, semi’s and houses)

3. Use good judgement on the water. Don’t take the boat out for the first time on the river during high water…. If you do, head up stream and stay close to shore.

4. Give objects a wide berth, you don’t want to find your boat getting hit by anything that is larger than a beach ball. Ice chunks can be very deceiving.

5. If your not very experienced on the water, having at least 2 years experience running the rivers in the spring, use extra caution or bring a more experienced river rat along with you.

Its an exciting time to be out…. The die hards have been working it and soon the rest will start to follow.

Use your common sense, let someone know where you are.

Share your experiences and good times with the rest of us.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I see the river is up 5′ since I saw her on Sunday. I might have to go take a peak at my fishing hole, even in the cold.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.