Quick fishing update

• larry_haugh
    MN

Well………..
    Here we are and it’s almost the 4th of July, I just wanted to pass on a quick update on fishing in the MN river. The action has been sporadic the last couple weeks.

The Channels have been steadily coming off spawn and the flats have been going in. Reports of nice fish have been coming in, with Channels ranging from the 10lb range to little guys, and Flats in the 40lb+ range have been caught and released regularly.

The water level is continuing to steadily drop we are a foot or two away from last years low water marks. While the temps have been steadily climbing, hovering around 78F to 82F.

The preferred bait to this point seems to be bullies for the Flats and cut bait for the channels. With some variations. I expect that over the next week or two as the Flats come off the spawn we will see even more large fish be caught and released. I have yet to hear of a 50lb being caught this season…. I know many of us are eagerly waiting and hoping that it might be our lucky day to have one hit our pole.

As a reminder, Be safe on the waters. If your in the barge channels you should consider using a radio. The captains monitor channels 16 and 68,69. Let them know your in the area when they are passing through, as the water drops they need a lot more extra room to maneuver.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your outings.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.