5/18 Minnesota north of St. Peter

• dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Had a decent night camping out down by St. Pete on Friday night. We were fishing around the edges and downstream of a long 20-25 foot hole on an outside bend. There is also a small feeder creek that was barely putting out water at the end of the hole. Started off around 6PM catching many channel cats on shad and cut suckers. A few runs were had on live suckers as well.

The fun really started when our fourth guy showed up with a bucket of bullheads. We all switched to bullheads around dusk and the action was on! We started getting runs immediately and the first flat was on. This guy was only about 2-3 pounds but he took in the whole bullhead.

The next fish was a 12lb (de-liar) flat that broke a Saltstriker handle on the hookset. The aluminum actually cracked and broke! After some switching of rods, we were back in business. We caught a total of 6 fish in the 12 – 15 pound range until the bite stopped around 2AM.

Most fish came near where the feeder creek dumped into the river. Finally got a workout for my 6500 and saw what that clicker was meant to do.

Can’t beat good times, good food and drink, and good friends on the river while catching cats.

Sorry about the lack of pics, but the darkness mixed with a few drinks and a bad camera phone equaled crappy pictures!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

“We caught a total of 6 fish in the 12 – 15 pound range”

That much action would be fun. How many guys and what time did you start with the bullheads? I am curious because where I was I had 1 fish in about 2.5 – 3 hours of fishing with one line. A couple of runs too. I could kind of gauge the spot I fished by comparing them to your numbers.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Well, there were 4 of us fishing. The rigs were all almost identical, but the guy at the spot closest to the creek usually got the fish, so I guess you can almost count it as one line, because if someone got that spot, the other 3 were kind of useless .

We started on the bullheads around dusk, so we fished for a good 5 hours with just bullies. There were a couple smaller fish caught as well, including a nice 4-5 pound channel. I think turtles were attacking as well.

larry_haugh
    MN

Great report and update Dfresh,
    Sounds like you guys had a really fun night.
    The word out there has been that St. Peter has been the hot spot with lots of action in the area.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.