Report 5/14

• rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Well, I finally made it down to the MN river last night for the first time. Found the water to be pretty high, and of course, the consistency of chocolate milk. Lots of debris… many of the snags that piled up last year are breaking apart.

I hit creek mouths first, but not much luck. There were, however, tons of baitfish in some… just no ‘eyes. I searched for some good current breaks and worked pretty shallow with not much luck there either… so I moved deeper out into the eddy and there they were. Managed a few fish, with almost all being quality sized. My brother took honors for the biggest fish… one just under 28″. Vertical jig/minnow was the ticket… the plastics weren’t producing.

I forgot to add that the river will be going up even more with the rain last night. I had a very hard time contolling the boat in spots. I can’t stress enough to anyone heading out to keep an eye out for debris… because it’s everywhere. And believe me, some of those deadheads floating down will take out a boat, not just the lower unit!!!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Nice fish Travis.
    Looks like you stuck to your guns and and your efforts payed off. Good for you.
    I firmly believe that the Mn river in the upper section hosts some very high quality fish including some real bruisers.
    Keep the reports comin!

bigtime
    North Carolina

All right finaly some one has steped up and got some new posts going on the minnesota river forum. I was tired of seeing mavzer’s tired post up there.

rainman2
    metro area

We fished the minnesota on opener and caught close to 2 dozen walleyes , most of these fish were over 20″ and guess what we caught them on, Yep Ringworms! That’s all they would bite on for us! Took my 3 year old son out on monday and let him pull in all the fish I caught 3 walleyes 17″, 19″ and a 21″. He just had a blast.Also pulled in the biggest white bass I have ever caught out of the river, it had to go 4 lbs.

Rainman2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.