Kind of quiet in here lately!

• gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Don’t tell me no one has been fishing the MN lately I know someone has been out there. C’mon where are the reports?

I’ll have one tomorrow, I am heading out there today after work

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Don’t tell me no one has been fishing the MN lately I know someone has been out there. C’mon where are the reports?

I’ll have one tomorrow, I am heading out there today after work

Don’t get too excited about his report though, because he is fishing with me and my monkey. I told the monkey I was going grocery shopping though, so hopefully I can sneak out on him.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

NO MONKEY’S ALLOWED in my boat anymore this year I had a hard enough time getting rid of mine

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, it must be hunting season or something. I guess that means less traffic for us tonight!

larry_haugh
    MN

Quiet Huh?!?!?
    Check out the Rainy Flathead report in the fishing section Mate! Dtro and I fished our raincoats off and managed a…….. You better just read the report.
    P.S. Pug got a PM with some details for possible success. I hope he reads it before he gets on the water with all of you.
    Good Luck Mates. I’ll be looking forward to a fishing forcast. I got my last Night of Cat League tomorrow.
    thanks
    Larry

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

NO MONKEY’S ALLOWED in my boat anymore this year I had a hard enough time getting rid of mine

Since I went catfishing with you I can’t get this Monkey of my back. So hopefully on Saturday, when we go fishing I can drop kick this thing that’s on my back.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Since I went catfishing with you I can’t get this Monkey of my back. So hopefully on Saturday, when we go fishing I can drop kick this thing that’s on my back.

You better look around his boat. I think I may have forgotten my monkey in there last night when we took the boat out of the water.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You better look around his boat. I think I may have forgotten my monkey in there last night when we took the boat out of the water.

It must be something about Tony’s boat. Because whoever go’s out with him seem’s to get that monkey. When you where out with him last night was there any shore sightings.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Pug,

How about a full report, I can’t get out right now, but you had to at least get into something. I hear the Sheepies are biting good right now

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It must be something about Tony’s boat. Because whoever go’s out with him seem’s to get that monkey. When you where out with him last night was there any shore sightings.

You two guys are couple of comedians, maybe you should take your show on the road

No there were no unwanted sightings, thank god for that, at least something went right last night.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

There isn’t a lot to report. I had a run on my *cough* bass rod, that I put a cut chub on while I re-rigged my cat rod. I tell you what, circle hooks, 10lb mono and medium action rods do not mix! I caught my line coming off the spool, so I reeled up and never got a solid hookset.

We moved to another spot that seemed to have a lot of lumber on the bottom. Tony and I couldn’t tell what was up, but I kept getting slow clicks. I had a heavy weight on and it didn’t feel like the sinker was moving. I don’t know, I either had a bunch of light bites or maybe the sinker was slowly working down a root mass.

I am thinking about refiguring how to set the hook. It seems that many times this year I have tightened the line and set the hook, only to realize I tightened up on the weight, not the fish. I think I am going to tighten to the point where I feel the weight pick up off the bottom and can get a good hookset.

Geez, you can tell it was a bad night. I am babbling on about my hookseting technique!

We did have an interesting barge encounter. He was trying to negotiate a bend in the river. For some reason he let the barges loose and we kept looking over our shoulder. He finally asked us to move to the other side because he was going to grab them and move on. The only thing I can think of is he ran the boat aground in too shallow of water and had to release them to get out?

Oh, and ducking the bats on the ride in was kind of fun too.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

I saw my line twitch once I also saw a carp jump, and a Bald Eagle flying around. I was almost tempted to fish in the cooler for a little bit too

Could I get anymore pathetic? No need to answer that, I already know

audemp
    Wi

We you guys on the Minn? I think there is a front moving through plus the full moon may not have helped if you were flathead fishing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yep, we were on the Mn and we cursed the moon many times. Of course, the baitfish seem to still be doing alright. It’s hard to get a fish to bite when they have so much to choose from. I even think some shad were nibbling on the innards of my chub at one point.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I even think some shad were nibbling on the innards of my CHUB at one point.

We are still talking about fishing here, right guys

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Yep, we were on the Mn and we cursed the moon many times. Of course, the baitfish seem to still be doing alright. It’s hard to get a fish to bite when they have so much to choose from. I even think some shad were nibbling on the innards of my chub at one point.

Curse the Moon, that is when the fishing is the best. Getting out trolling the cranks, maybe a few leeches under a slip bobber. Sorry guy’s I forgot that I was in the catfish board not the walleye.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Tony and Pug – I am sort of glad I couldn’t go with! We’ll have to give it a shot here in the next week or so. Some lawn chairs down by Blackdog with a cooler of beer on a cool Sept night sounds just about like heaven to me!

Heck! Maybe we could even catch a fish!

Did you guys take the boat out around the Blackdog area?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I bet you know where we went DTRO. Don’t worry, you secret is safe with me and whoever PMs me with the highest bid! Actually, that area is where I have been wanting to fish all summer since I hit it earlier in the year. Kind of hard without a boat though! So it’s not like I didn’t know the spot before if that makes you and Larry feel better.

Yeah, the barge guy told us over the intercom once we reached the other side that it was a good place to hide when commercial boats come down river. However, there ain’t no fish there!

Farmboy, that’s not right.

DFresh, I am not sure I could handle another skunked outing. Tony and I were like kids before Christmas as we left the launch. We were like crack heads and we needed a fix.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I havent seen a barge for more than a week on the river.. landed about 15 channels, 3 flatheads, 12 sheephead, 2 carp, 3 eels, 1 sunfish, and 40 sturgeon for my boat since saturday… and it was a dead/cold night tonight with 3 fat channel cats..

I’ll see if I can do better in the next 7 days

audemp
    Wi

Hey DTRO “Dont move a little, move a lot!”

larry_haugh
    MN

Sorry that you guys had a rough go.
    As far as Moonlight affecting Flatheads in a negative way theory??
    Bunk……Some nights work and some don’t, its easy to make the correlation because there are so many more nights without the moon.
    Was out tonight and Lucky Larry Flatcaster was on Fire.
    To late to post all the details tonight. Will start a new thread tomorrow after I’m done working.
    Keep your eyes out for it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d rather blame the moon than my fishing abilities. I appreciate all you guys rubbing it in on how you have caught fish though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I had a run on my *cough* bass rod,

You are now officially orphaned.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

I had a run on my *cough* bass rod,

You are now officially orphaned.

I can’t get rid of it. Every once in a while it’s nice to catch a fish that I understand and is a little less challenging. Bob, you carry any 7″ Gulp worms???

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.