Tuseday report

• gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

We went out last night from 6-10 between Shakopee and Jordan. Started the evening behind a big ole’ snag in the middle of the river. Had alot of bites and small runs which ended up being sheepies Finally got a good run and thought this is it I’m finally gonna break my fishless streak. Nope not this time, got my first Gar WOW what a fight these little guys put up. I thought for sure I had a good cat. Didn’t put a ruler to him, but I figure he was 22-24″ long. Mna do they ever have a nasty looking mouth, I would not want my fingers in there.

After that we stuck it out another 30 mins and decided to try drifting cut bait. We drifted along a sand flat with scattered wood and got nothing. Moved to some rip-rap and drifted that 2-3 times with no takers. Headed back up river to the head of a 15-17′ hole and anchored. Tossed out shad and cut sucker. Had a bunch of quick runs that we both whiffed on and then finally my buddies bait runner just starts sreamin’. It’s been awile since I’ve seen a fish take so much line so fast. Andy got hooks in this one and right away we both knew this was a big fish. The fish made a hard fast run right at the boat and Andy was having a heck of time keeping up with this fish. A couple more hard charging runs and we got him up near the boat. Got some light on him and he took off straight down 17′. Got back to the surface, I missed the first net attempt and got him the next time around. After all was said aand done Andy bagged himself a 31″ channel that went 10-11lbs. Nice fish Andy.

Andy has been lurking around IDA for a couple weeks now and he finally got around to registering here.

As soon as I can get the pics of the camera I will post them. I think we have some video of the Gar too.

Congrats firemen and welcome aboard

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Nice job! That is an excellent area of the MN to fish!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…finally my buddies bait runner just starts sreamin’.

I thought I was your fishing buddy! I am sorry, did that sound needy or make you a little uncomfortable?

Get those picts and the video up. I can’t wait to see them. There are 2 species I want to catch at some point…a gar and an eel. I know everybody hates the eels, but I think it would be cool to catch one in my lifetime!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Sweet report. Glad you guys got into something and that is a nice sized channel.

Andy, come on and get registered, we need more guys on the cat page, it is already the most used portion of IDA, and we need to keep those bass guys in check

firemen
    PriorLake MN

Its time to be more then a lurker. i hope to get the video up soon, its funny. this is a awsome sight and the people are positive. Be safe. andy

larry_haugh
    MN

Hey Tony,
    Nice report! Sounds like your hard work paid some nice “Diverse” Dividens.
    Those big channels put up a nice scrappin.
    Look forward to some pics and videos. I can say that I have not gotten lucky enough to catch a gar.
    Andy/Fireman. Welcome to the IDA. Glad to have you aboard. we look forward to a pic of your nice fish.
    Thanks Guys!!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Great now the whole river is going to smell like strawberry’s

I’m very curious to see how it works, I got a batch all ready to go.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Considering what the river can smell like, I’ll take strawberries any day!

larry_haugh
    MN

Just don’t eat it. IT will be tempting

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

A little butter some garlic yum yum

firemen
    PriorLake MN

I would not put it past you tony, with a nose like yours every thing is better with garlic.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Garlic Marinated Bullheads

larry_haugh
    MN

Make sure to scroll back up to the top and check out Tonys and Andys fish that this thread started on.
    Nice work guys thanks for posting pics.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That is a serious set of teeth on that gar!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Yea you may not want to “lip” a Gar, it might sting a little

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Quote:

Quote:

…finally my buddies bait runner just starts sreamin’.

I thought I was your fishing buddy! I am sorry, did that sound needy or make you a little uncomfortable?

Pug- just the thougth of you makes me uncomfortable now

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

To the back of the line pal!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

I live at the back of the line

That kind of sounds bad……..

firemen
    PriorLake MN

WOW

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

To clear things up, that’s the back of the line of people who have complaints with me!

alan34
    MN

awesome that is a nice cat and gar.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.