NEW CATTIN PROBLEM!!

• wambat
    adrian mn(sw mn)

HELLO

I have been catfishing the Jim river and missouri for the past 5 years, last year seen a guy in the local bait shop(worthington)buying huges chubs and heading to granite falls. I never relised that there was good catfishing right here in southern mn. I am from adrian mn and would like to fish the granite falls,redwood falls, franklin or new ulm area since it is closest to me.I am going this weekend. I would appricate any tips on location,bait,docks,and size of boat(14’shallow or 16′ deep)were to catch # of fish or go for big ones. there will be room for one more if anyone would like to show me around.

thanks for your replies

p.s anyone intrested in the sourthern jim river or missouri river in sd feel free to email me.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

You can try the old boat launch in Courtland. Just ask at the gas station where it is. The boat launch is pretty bad now and no one uses it, but there is good shore fishing or boat fishing in the area. THere are good spots all over that area, just read some general cattin’ posts and you will get the gist of it.

wambat
    adrian mn(sw mn)

DFresh

thanks for the info.

I would really like to take the boat just do to the ease of moving to the next spot. If you know of any good landing for boats, and if i should bring little or big boat plz reply

thanks wambat

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey wambat! Welcome to the site!

I can’t help you much with the MN, but there are plenty that do fish it. I can tell you to take the shallowest running boat you have. But that’s about all I know.
    Good Luck and let’s see the pictures!

kyleb
    Mankato MN

Hey wambat,
    Right now on the MN you dont really have to worrie about depth the river is up 6 ft so water is not a problem. You will want to try and find backwater or have a very small amount of current behind wingdams or loggams. If you can get bullheads i would recommend using them. Also becarful and watch out for logs and trees comming down river. Franklin has very good cattin water and there are good current breaks! Good luck this weekend!!
    Kyle

wambat
    adrian mn(sw mn)

sat.5/29/04

went to granite falls,they rose the water level 2+feet friday night. i talked to a guy that works for the fishery around that area and said they were biteing good before in 4-8ft. of water. fished from the lower dam to 10 mi south with not much luck. one 2lbs. plenty of dinks,10sheephead,2 carp. we used cut bait,shrimp,stink,crawlers. weather was rainy on and off and we quit at 4:30 before the inches of rain fell.

This area of the minnesoa river looks to be awsome, plenty of log jams,lots of deep deep holes and beautiful too. seen a few others boats on same stretch all going for eyes. there also was a floting beer barge(8 canoes tied togerther 2 men in each,2 cases beer in each) im sure they paid hell in the rain last night. i will be back to this area soon when water levels sabilize a little more. next fishing trip will be to sd june 9th -13th walleye tournament the 12th,the other days going after the blue catfish found them the last 3yrs here at the same time same place dock 44 about 8mi south by big red rock. hope water warms up some by then. good luck to all and keep the reports coming.

wambat

fishhead
    Chaska

I suspect the channels may be spawning or just about to.The bite has dropped off in the last week and the fish we are catching are males in their spawning form.Their heads are swollen for nest making and they are back in color.Things should pick up again in a week or two.
    Water levels don’t seem to have a big effect on the bite…just where you find them.In high water I typicaly find them in the feeder creeks or tight to banks on inside turns.Reduced current,not neccesarily no curent however.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.