Flatheads

• kyleb
    Mankato MN

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and seen the discussion about Flatheads on the Minnesota so I thought I would post my results so far. I am 16 years old, from Mankato and have been fishing cats with my dad for a couple of years. Any way The Flatheads around here have really turned on!! In the past 3 days we have been able to pick up 4 flats over 30lbs and a couple under that. The water temp is about 64-67 degrees and have been getting them in about 6 ft of water with little structure up 20 yrds from a 10 ft hole. They have all seemed to hit inbetween 9-10pm. We are planing on heading out tonight again to see if we can pick up more. I have learned A lot from this forum already! Great info! I hope to get to know some of you a bit better seem to be a great bunch! Have Pictures of the Fish just have no clue how to post them ? If some one could give me some help i would be glad to put them on!
    Good luck fishing everyone!

Kyle

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome Kyle!
    Love to see the pictures! And hear more about your trips!

Briank

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sounds like you’re into some awesome fish. Here on pool 4 of the Miss the best I can find is 57 – 61 degree water temps and I’ve not heard many positive cat reports over the last week.

If you need any help posting your cat pics just holler and we’ll be happy to help you out.

kyleb
    Mankato MN

Here are them Pictures of them Flatheads that we have caught in the last couple of days…They are all around 30lbs they have all been eatting very well they were all fat! got pictures of my cats and my little brothers flathead. Not sure if i can put more than one on a post so they are going to be individual. Lastnight went out and got 2 small ones hope to hit them hard this weekend!
    Kyle

kyleb
    Mankato MN

Heres my brothers..

kyleb
    Mankato MN

heres another one of me…

kyleb
    Mankato MN

Heres the last one… sorry about the picture quality!
    Kyle

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No need to apologize for pic quality for those shots. Night shots are always tough to pull off) I love the one of your younger brother struggling with the weight of that flat!

Getting them on chubs or bullheads?

Thanks for sharing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Awsome photos. Cant wait to show my son what you guys are cathcing. Maybe he might enjoy chasing them big cats insted of walleyes.
    Keep posting those photos. Looks like you guys have finely gotten some action on the mn river forumn also.

You should also have BrianK contacting you very soon for info on where to chase cats like that. Settle down Brian.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kewl! Kyle!

I’m moving! Any houses for sale close to the hot spot?

Love flat pictures!

fishhead
    Chaska

A good night!
    Nice fish kyle.

kyleb
    Mankato MN

The only thing that we use from flats are bullheads they stay alive longer and are a lot more hardy then chubs!
    Kyle

fishhead
    Chaska

Here is a pic of a nice 49.7lb flatty that I picked up while fishing for those “other” fish.I was pitching jigs and plastics to some fast water entering the river.I had to chase her around for about 20 minutes just waiting for her to tire enough to get her in the net.We picked up another 28lber the next day in the same area doing the same thing.I think they are feeding on anything before they go on the spawn.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You are killing me!

Nice fish bud!

graberc
    NW Metro

What’s that on your head Dennis?

Nice fish man! We’ll see ya on Cass on Friday!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You guys are right…he just looks friendlier in this picture….

Either way…Nice Fish Dennis!

fishhead
    Chaska

I honestly thought about using photo shop to remove that, but didn’t think anyone would notice.
    At least I didn’t take the pic in front of my truck!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great pics Kyle!!!

Fishhead, we even like you “other” forum guys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just for clairification. Fishhead is a great guy, with a sense of humor and a great fishing head (sorry for the pun).

They guy goes out for walleye’s and lands a cat twice the size of my personal record. For a great trip on the MN river for cats and other “fish” like eyes, check out his website. He will show you a good time…speaking from personal experiance.

HOWEVER…you can tell by his attire that his wife should be helping him dress in the morning…at least as far as the hat goes….

Did that IDA decal stick to the shiney new River Pro?

fishhead
    Chaska

Thanks guys.
    Any site that helps others enjoy thier favorite sport is a great site in my book.
    I haven’t gotten around to getting those InDepth decals on the River Pro just yet….
    You should know I will have to duck the “boss” for years if I do!Its a gamble I just might take.
    The River Pro is not so shiny and new anymore.
    I sent the boat up a rip rap shoreline and into the trees at 30mph the other day.
    I was thrown from the boat while I was screwing around.I feel very fortunate to be alive.I did not have a life vest on and did not hook up the kill tether.These are things I will be using in the future!!!
    OH ya the boat is fine.A couple dents in the bow and a couple scrapes.I fished out of it the next day.
    I am not kidding when I say that is one TOUGH boat!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Your kidding me!! Holy Crap, thrown from the boat. Glad your OK.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jez Dennis…be a little careful out there!

By the way…

Quote:

A couple dents in the bow and a couple scrapes

I don’t want to borrow it anymore.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Well, as a racing buddy of mine said. “If you dont crash once or twice a year you just are not trying hard anough”

But he was racing. Not fishing.

Good to hear you are all right.

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

Hey Fishhead…Nice Hat!!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I was wondering if that was the same fishhead I know. Apparently it is. Dennis, Kevin, is there some sort of a defection going on here? I can personally attest that a ride in the river-pro with Dennis is quite memorable!

dd (aka mm)

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

Where ever they speak of fish, there I will be also (aka Dark)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.