Here kitty kitty!

• smoothy
    Marshalltown, Iowa

Anyone catching cats on the mighty Minnesota River Yet?

smoothy
    Marshalltown, Iowa

Come on, somebody s out there catching them!????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sure wish it was me!

You might want to try posting the same question on the Catfish Forum. It has more activity then here. I think the folks that normally post here are still spawning

I am going to make it to the MN river sometime this summer!

Good luck!

fishhead
    Chaska

They have turned on!
    Last week was a good week for me.I have been finding fish just about everywhere I set a bait.That being said the best spots seem to be on the upstream side of sand flats or the tail out of the hole,especially if there is a nice current edge to fish.No need to have any snags or wood cover.Here is a nice little kitty that suprised me while fishing for fork tails yesterday evening.

smoothy
    Marshalltown, Iowa

Thanks fishead!Nice fish! I can’t wait to get back up there, I may try this weekend.
    Have the flatheads turned on yet or are they still biting slow? What is the water temp?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So did you pick up any channels? Nice fish! It’s good to know that you practice C&R Fishhead….otherwise there wouldn’t be any flats left in the MN!

Thanks for sharing the picture!

(do you think you could get someone better looking to pose with your fish though? )

fishhead
    Chaska

The flatheads are biting good.Temps have warmed to the mid 60’s.The channels are on too.not just the little kitty’s but some nicer ones too.Most have been in the 4 to 8lb range,and I did get a 12 the other day.

I would have had someone else hold that fish but the only other one in the boat was my buddy “Tripod”.He holds the camera steady but is not that good at holding fish.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Dennis! Good to see another MN river rat on here!

smoothy
    Marshalltown, Iowa

Anybody fishing flats this weekend?

jeff6771

Is it safe to eat the fish out of the minosota river?

fishhead
    Chaska

Hey Travis
    Long time…
    We should hook up again some time.It must be going on 3 or 4 years since we fished that one time.I think you would enjoy going for a ride in my new River Pro.Its a hoot!

I didn’t fish for flats this weekend as it was the opener but we did manage to get a couple while targeting eyes.A 25lb and a 15lb.Thats always a blast on light tackle!I think they are biting very good.
    Probably should have stuck with the cats as the walleyes were not biting well.Only put three in the boat over the weekend and more than doubled that with cats,forks and flats.I did manage to land a nice 27.5 which made for a nice pic in the fog.

Eating fish out of the MN? I keep a few small ones (14 to 16″) now and again but don’t make a habbit out of it.The MN is not as polluted as it used to be but you might enjoy some fillets a little more coming from some pristine waters up north.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Travis… I’m trying to convert him…Dennis is a good guy and a great guide….Someone needs to save him from the anti-christ. Any angler that’s in-depth about angling…is a terrable thing to waste…

As long as he keeps coming to church..at least once a week….we’ll have a chance!

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s a link to some fish consumption advisory information for the Minnesota River. Look at page 6 of 17 specifically.

Fish Consumption Advisories – MN River

Quote:

Is it safe to eat the fish out of the minosota river?

To sum it up, fish in the MN River can be eaten, safely, as long as a few guidelines are followed. These guidelines are very similar / identical to guidelines for many of the lakes & rivers in MN; one meal a week of fish under 20″ may be consumed by adults.

Let the bigguns swim and eat the smaller fish caught without worries.

fishhead
    Chaska

I don’t even have a response to that!
    But don’t worry, I visit this church at LEAST once a week!Little devils do a lot of lurking in the shadows.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No response require!

PS Conversion Kit is in the mail…

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Yup Dennis… we need to get out sometime sood! Which model of the River Pro did you end up getting? You sold your other one this spring, correct?

Just shoot me a PM whenever you have a seat open… I still haven’t caught a flatty while targeting them!

fishhead
    Chaska

I got that conversion kit…I bust out laughing when I opened it.
    Is there installation instructions? Do I install them over,under, or right on top of my other decals?
    Good one Brian

Travis,
    We should plan on doing something this summer for sure.I am booked up pretty good for the next couple months but maybee we should put something on the calendar for mid or late summer.Brian might have to come along to show me how to install the conversion kit.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I forgot I sent that already…wasn’t sure what you were talking about until I read on….

Normally, I would say above the other religion…but I would be happy anyplace…on the River Pro and the truck…just to show your faith

Do they stick to Zelcron (?)

See ya in chuch bud!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.