Does anybody fish lower Minnehaha Creek?

• et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Does anyone fish Minnehaha Creek between the falls and the Mississippi River? I walked it a couple of days ago and the only thing I saw was a few carp hanging out in the small pools. I’m looking to fish for just about anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

Moores Bait

Carp for now, but like our weather give it a few more days. You will find a number of people down by the mouth catching walleys and silver bass with fatheads and jigs. You can also head up stream or down at the mouth and find something to your liking for the time being. Good luck out there…………..

beave
    MPLS

I used to fish there quite a bit. A lot of Walleye action in the river where the creek enters. Just use a plain hook with a fathead and just enough weight to sink it to the bottom. Be warned: you will get snagged, but I have caught many Eyes in the 8-9lb range there, and even a few cats.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Remember the season is closed for walleye, bass and nothern/musky, not sure what the panfish action is like around there, and catch and release only on the Miss.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

What Nick said is true.. you cant target gamefish in the creek right now. The 1st couple blocks from the confluence can be very good multi specie fishin depending on water levels. Walleye, smallies, pike, muskies(spawn in there), dogfish, the ocasional largemouth or panfish.

Pretty much everything?

Once you get a couple blocks from the river, its mostly carp.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Thanks for the info. I might have to give it a try in the next couple of weeks. May is still a long way away.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Remember the season is closed for walleye, bass and nothern/musky, not sure what the panfish action is like around there, and catch and release only on the Miss.

It’s a year round season on Minnehaha creek down stream of Minnehaha Falls so you can target Walleye, Sauger, Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass in the area you are talking about.

Problem is there isn’t any current it’s just backed up calm water from the River hopefully can we get some rain here soon and get things moving.

There are a few good shore spots on the creek but I have had my best luck using waders and avoiding the crowds, once the water warms and rises a little I’ll be there.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That is interesting. I new you could fish up to the Mendota bridge. Figured the cut off on minnehaha creek would most likely had been the bridge. Not being able to fish little pigs eye lake is a big surprise. Some of those other lakes are a surprise also.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Not being able to fish little pigs eye lake is a big surprise.

Little Pigs Eye falls under Pool 2 regs and is C&R year around.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Quote:

Not being able to fish little pigs eye lake is a big surprise.

Little Pigs Eye falls under Pool 2 regs and is C&R year around.

So it’s a misprint in the 07 regulation book???

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

There is a little lake by Pigs Eye that some refer to as Little Pigs Eye. We have always called it Mud. That is open year round. I think that is the lake Mike was refering to.

Little Pigs Eye is not accessable by boat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.