Bluegills in the Litchfield area

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My Dad’s been picking up some nice (1/2 to 3/4 lbs) sunnies on his flyrod lately. So yesterday I packed up and headed to Litchfield and Lake Ripley.

Just a couple seconds after my #10 yellow woolie worm and #10 black and yellow weighted timber wolf hit the water, my drag was making noise. The sunnie on the worm was just shy of 1/2 lbs and the one on the timber wolf was just over 3/4 lbs. We picked up around 15 fish (with one being a crappie) before the wind picked up and we headed for the north side.

Fishing the reed beds, we had to search for larger fish since most were silver dollar size, but once we found them they all ran just under 1/2 lbs. Just good eating size.
    The females still had their eggs so fishing should be good for at least a week or so.

First time in 25 years that we saw another fly fisherman on this lake fishing for gills. With the breeze, then picking up to a wind…he was doing real well with his 4 weight rod.

Sprinkled a little but never got wet…ended the noon hour with 39 sunnies and one crappie. I’ll be heating up the oil tonight!

Briank

Flyfishing – The most fun you can have standing up.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.