? for the Walleye Guys (sight fishing walleyes)

• gobbler
    Central, MN

I happened to come across something different today while fishing for bass and crappies. I was surrounded by big walleyes suspended in 8-12 fow. Yes, I was sight fishing for walleyes and couldn’t get one to bite to save my life.

I plan to go back out tomorrow morning or Friday and I’m not a walleye guy. What should I bring to trigger a bite. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I’m betting the light had them shut down. I’ve caught walleye in bass baits plenty of times, so I’m betting there is another factor at play here, probably sunlight.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I would throw some plastic at them, such as a Trigger X 5″ leech on a hook similar to a drop shot hook and let it slowly drop down to them naturally, slowly working back. Or a light jig head like 1/16th or 1/8th and slowly work it back through the school also tipped with a piece of plastic or even live bait at this point. Crawler or live leech would work well. If you need some help let me know.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

How about a clear bobber, and a big fat leech dangled abot 1′ above them?

scottie56005

Maybe try using small leeches under a slip bober. Tie on a plain 1/16 lead head. Cast 10 feet from them at first to see if they can notice it. If nothing then rock the boat side to side to throw a wave towards the bober so it bounces. Wait a little bit then cast a couple feet closer. Have fun.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I was fishing in a little overcast and the sun didn’t shine where I was till around 11:00 and I was seeing walleyes swim under the boat for over 3 hrs. I bet I saw 40-50 fish with lots of them in the 24-28″ range…. some were even larger. In fact the biggest was in 5-6′ and didn’t mind me being there. (I thought it was a carp at first)

Guys, I did fish a drop shot with Gulp 3″ Leeches and Alive 5″ Leeches. I also tried some plastic minnows of different sizes, and pulled out a rattle trap and X-rap. All of that and nothing. I plan to buy shiner and crappie minnows before I head out there again.

Am I better off staying back and casting in the general area with a slip bobber or sight fishing them over the edge of the boat?

Thanks again

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Am I better off staying back and casting in the general area with a slip bobber or sight fishing them over the edge of the boat?

Yes, Good Luck!

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I would try the leech ideas mentioned and if that didn’t work I would post up on them after dark… With slip bobber or casting cranks. If they are there in daylight they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon unless the skis start pushin em into the weeds or out deep. Good luck- let us know what you find- very unique experience you have encountered.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I would try backing the boat as far away from the fish as possible and casting a suspending jerkbait- ripping it as hard as possible. I’ve seen what you are describing with pike before. They aren’t spooked by the boat, but just by being there they won’t eat. (kinda like getting stage fright when you have to pee in around a lot of people ) When I backed 30-40 yards off the school and made long casts I caught a PB (at the time) 40″ fish.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Once I’ve seen them I RARLY catch them. I seek out after leaving a waypoint and wait a bit to go back to them then as others stated pitch something up to them.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Try ripping a blade bait with sharp treble right through them

Only kidding of course

corey-studer

One of two things:
    1) 1/32oz jig with large leech
    2) BB split shot, plain hook with leech
    Both of what you’ll want to pitch ahead of the school.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Quote:

I was fishing in a little overcast and the sun didn’t shine where I was till around 11:00 and I was seeing walleyes swim under the boat for over 3 hrs. I bet I saw 40-50 fish with lots of them in the 24-28″ range…. some were even larger. In fact the biggest was in 5-6′ and didn’t mind me being there. (I thought it was a carp at first)

Guys, I did fish a drop shot with Gulp 3″ Leeches and Alive 5″ Leeches. I also tried some plastic minnows of different sizes, and pulled out a rattle trap and X-rap. All of that and nothing. I plan to buy shiner and crappie minnows before I head out there again.

Thanks again

I think I know which lake you are talking about, I might be able to help.

Send me a PM.

roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

Hey Gobbler —

Check you PM’s. I see your located in central MN, and I have encountered this a few times on a specific lake north of Freeport, I may be able to help.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

I say we form a three headed monster and throw everything at them until they bite. If they are that tight lipped.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I just pegged the lake too!! JK Gobbler.. I know what you mean though, frustrating but when they’re not eating the only thing that will work is a big *ss net! Good luck n let us know if you find a trick!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.