MN Wild 2017-18 Official Thread

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ll disagree about why Minnesotans like Parise. I think it’s because he is the best most exciting player on the team not because he is from Minnesota. When the team acquired both Parise and Suter it gave the fans hope. They finally had 2 top tier players who along with the kids could bring them to the play-offs and hopefully success.

You can trade them but it won’t be a star for star trade. It will signal the start of yet another rebuild which nobody wants.

I understand the ultimate goal is the Stanley Cup. However the team has been competitive and provided a good brand of hockey / entertainment. The arena is full and the owner isn’t threatening to move.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

You can trade them but it won’t be a star for star trade. It will signal the start of yet another rebuild which nobody wants.

Your Said The S word? shock

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yes I did. grin

He is a star on this team, you can argue to what degree he is a star in the NHL, but here he is a star.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Yes I did. grin

He is a star on this team, you can argue to what degree he is a star in the NHL, but here he is a star.

OH, I agree 100%
    That being said,he should not be considered untradeable.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I would give my eye teeth to see Cullen come back. He’s old in hockey years, but he still has a lot of game in him.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The most important thing to remember concerning Parise and Suter is that their contracts basically make them untradeable between the salary, length of contract and no trade clauses. So to that end there is little chance they could or would be traded.

You may have a chance to trade them 4 years from now when their contracts are not cost prohibitive…if they agree to get dealt to a contender.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Yes I did. grin

With respect to Parise I believe he’s a great PR guy for MN fans. They like his attitude and work ethic.

With respect to “stars”, what is a star?
    Crosby? (1st overall pick)
    Malkin? (2nd overall pick)
    Toews? (3rd overall pick)
    Kane? (1st overall pick)
    McDavid? (1st overall pick)
    J. Thornton? (1st overall pick)
    Ovechkin? (1st overall pick)
    Stamkos? (1st overall pick)

The teams that get these guys tend to lock them up in long term contracts. If you’re lucky you can get a Getzlaf in the draft (19th overall pick). It’s not like the NBA where teams can fork over $30M+/yr and sign a “star” for a short term contract. Otherwise you need to get one of these players in the draft (if they’re available at your drafting position) or in some type of trade while the player is still developing. It’s pretty rare for some of these guys to jump ship because the home team makes it a priority to sign them.

CaptainMusky

It was at the time a good move by the team to sign them both, but in hindsight
    playoff success has eluded them. At some point their value as assets to a playoff contending team becomes more valuable than continuing to keep them.

Well, if you consider that prior to signing both of them the Wild had missed the playoffs 6 of the previous 8 years I think they had an instant impact since they have made the playoffs each year since.
    Agreed, they haven’t translated into getting past the 2nd round, but that shouldn’t ride solely on their shoulders, we just honestly didn’t have much else around them until last year where the youth seemed to take a nice step in the right direction.
    The problem is it ended in about the worst way possible.
    I didn’t have high hopes going into the season last year. I don’t have high hopes going into this season either.
    The moves thus far have not really impressed me. I like Ennis if he can be healthy and Foligno is a guy like we have needed, but essentially he is probably Tuch, a guy who we lost in the Expansion draft.
    IMO we are a weaker team right now than we were at the end of the season. There wasn’t one move of significance that improves this team I don’t think. I don’t know much about Quincey, but I will take Pug’s word for it that he may be a good signing.
    The others are more or less bolstering Iowa.
    Perhaps there is another trade in the works. Rumor I heard today is that the deal to Buffalo was already in the works before the Expansion draft which is what forced Chuck’s hand to “encourage” Vegas to pick Haula which required the inclusion of Tuch, in order to dump Pominville. Interesting if true.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know much about Quincey, but I will take Pug’s word for it that he may be a good signing.

Good in the sense that it gives us a veteran and slight upgrade over the role that Prosser played, while easing some pressure on Gustav Olofsson and Reilly, especially with Folin and Scandella gone.

I have to believe that they are going to sign another veteran D, possibly Prosser. I don’t know what they will do if 2 of our top 6 defensemen go out at the same time.

CaptainMusky

I was just looking at career stats between Scandella and Quincey and they are very comparable actually.
    Both have played similar number of games per season and have proven to be very healthy. Production-wise they get similar goals/assists, but Quincey is the more physical player and has a better +/-.
    This could be addition by subtraction.
    I am a bit bummed we couldn’t figure out a way to find $750K in the couch cushions to bring Folin back. I had hopes that he would grow into a physical force, but that ship has sailed.
    I am worried about Olofsson holding up to a long season in the NHL. He has already had multiple shoulder-related injuries.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

McDavid is getting a $100 million 8 year deal from Edmonton. Nice work if you can get it. grin

CaptainMusky

McDavid is getting a $100 million 8 year deal from Edmonton. Nice work if you can get it. grin

Yeah and $86M of that is signing bonus. That’s a sign that he doesn’t have a ton of confidence about avoiding a lockout. Signing bonuses are paid annually regardless. Salary is not. Smart move on his part. The NHL cannot afford another lockout.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

There will be another lockout. Hopefully we won’t miss a whole or half a season because of it. I believe I heard Russo mention that the no movement clauses need to be addressed. There are several articles here

Sad, but true.

The players and moreso the GM/Presidents can’t help but shoot themselves in the foot. Half of them complain about things that they themselves are doing.

CaptainMusky

Interesting read Pug! I have been reading a lot of steam by folks like Russo about the increased likelihood of a lockout. I think the whole “contracts like McDavid” will get addressed. This could end up being a very contentious battle between the NHLPA and the Owners. Rule changes, contract discussions, video review, etc.
    The contracts like McDavid are great for the player because they are basically protected from a lockout AND if they player is going to get bought out. Singing bonuses cannot be bought out, they are guaranteed. So, say Edmonton decides to buy out Mcdavid in 5 years, they will be on the hook for more than the traditional 67% value like the majority of the contracts out there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Rumor is Kaprisov signed for 3 years.

In the KHL.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

While it sucks, especially if you take this as a signal that he won’t ever be interested in the NHL, it’s not that bad. Two extra years in the KHL will not hamper his development. My concern is at what point do we lose his rights? Fletch probably pooped his pants.

Update: Actually read the article and since no agreement between NHL and KHL, we own his rights forevah.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I wonder how much “pressure” is being put on him to stay by shady figures in Russia? He was basically purchased by the richest team in the KHL this off season…he still won’t be making 1/2 of what he could make in the NHL under a rookie contract…

It’s sad, but now you see why he and other Russian stars go so late in the draft…it’s a crapshoot to get them to play in the NHL…

Anybody know how old Kuznetsov and Tarasanko were when they finally came over? I know they also spent several years in the KHL…

update – it looks like Tarasenko played 2 seasons in the KHL after being drafted, Kuznetsov played 4!

CaptainMusky

I didn’t see exact terms of his contract, but I read somewhere that it was rumored to be around $1M. His ELC would be $925K in the NHL I believe.
    One other thing to consider is the desire to play in the Olympics too. If he were to come here now he would miss out. I think that decision by the NHL is going to negatively affect some of these guys from coming over. That is going to be a point of contention for the CBA next go round too.
    I guess I don’t blame the kid for staying in Russia. In 3 years I will welcome with open arms if he decides to come. If he doesn’t come, I don’t hate him or Chuck. It was worth the shot in drafting him and it wasn’t like he was drafted #1 overall. It was a 5th Rounder anyway.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only draft pick that really matters is the first overall. Right Jeff? The rest are just jv players. waytogo

JoeMX1825
    MN

The olympic reasoning has some merit (Greenway is using the same arguement). The NHL really blew it with that decision.

I’m just worried that our team’s window of opportunity might be gone in 3 years…

CaptainMusky

I’m just worried that our team’s window of opportunity might be gone in 3 years…

It is starting to look that way. We have a aging group of vets and our youth pool just took a significant blow this offseason. Haula, Scandella and Tuch all gone. Kaprisov is in doubt, Greenway waiting another year, which he could choose to hold out and sign elsewhere since he will be completing college and we only get their rights for x number of years following the draft (I believe 3). I hope Fletch has his eyes on going after Toninato from UMD. He was drafted by Toronto, but they have maxed out their number of contracts so they cannot sign him so he will be Free Agent on Aug 15th.
    Kunin appears to be wowing everyone at the development camp so that is great news. I think he and Eriksson-Ek will be fun to watch this year.
    I’d like to make it to the X tomorrow to take in the Development Camp, but work is in the way.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I believe you retain their rights until August of their graduation year, after the initial free agency period. After the last collective bargaining agreement it is more difficult to game the system as a college player.

Don’t quote me. This is the conclusion I came to after some brief investigation this morning.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The only draft pick that really matters is the first overall. Right Jeff? The rest are just jv players. waytogo

Dino Cicarrelli?
    Peter Stansny?
    Joe Mullin?
    Brian rafalski?

So no you don’t have to be #1 overall…But when the top line on your team, would be a second or third line on several other opponents team.
    We just witnessed that outcome.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So while we have some time.

Do you think that the Spurgeon/Ennis childhood reunion will help or hinder their play this season? Since neither are early 20 partiers, I am thinking it’s going to help.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I believe you retain their rights until August of their graduation year, after the initial free agency period. After the last collective bargaining agreement it is more difficult to game the system as a college player.

Don’t quote me. This is the conclusion I came to after some brief investigation this morning.

I’m trying to remember Blake Wheeler’s situation. If memory serves me he left college after his Junior year. I thought he was drafted by Phoenix but was able to sign with Boston. Maybe at the expense of losing out on dollar amounts/signing incentives.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wiki says he did not come to terms with Yotes and signed with Bruins. The Yotes got a compensatory draft pick.

CaptainMusky

Wild signed Nino to 5 year deal worth roughly 5.25M per. I think that is a decent deal. The biggest thing for me is the absence of a NMC or NTC. Obviously if there were one of those tied to the contract we could have gotten by with less $$$, but I am good with this deal.
    It does mean that Granlund is going to be higher I am sure. So, lets say its 6MM. That is 11.25MM between those two and we had I believe 16MM left. So there is a little pocket change for CF to get another forward in potentially.
    They still have to sign Foligno too.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The issue seems to be that Minnesotans believe Parise is untouchable solely for the reason that he is from Minnesota.Yes, its fun to see a guy from Minnesota play on the hometown team and see them succeed, and I am not solely on Parise’s case. IMHO, I would rather see the team built on the best players available, not the best Minnesotans available.

So what BETTER UFA player was available and signable (regardless of state of origin) at the same time Parise was? I’m not talking about making up a fictional 4 team, 12 player combo deal, with cash and the mythical players to be named later. Obviously, to anyone who knows hockey, Parise was the prize that year. 20/20 hindsight makes it easy to be a great hockey mind.

I don’t get the knock on Sutuer. His D is tops, he’s an incredibly efficient performer and the way he shuts down angles and minimizes chances can only be appreciated by people who know hockey. Which of course is why so many are always calling for dumping Suter…

The Wild’s D last year was the main reason they were able to build a points lead that go them to the playoffs despite the late slump. IMO getting to the plyoffs is never a bad thing despit the Minnesota complex many people have, I look at it like all games your team is playing are better than being a non playoff team fan sitting there watching someone else’s team play.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>
    The issue seems to be that Minnesotans believe Parise is untouchable solely for the reason that he is from Minnesota.Yes, its fun to see a guy from Minnesota play on the hometown team and see them succeed, and I am not solely on Parise’s case. IMHO, I would rather see the team built on the best players available, not the best Minnesotans available.

So what BETTER UFA player was available and signable (regardless of state of origin) at the same time Parise was? I’m not talking about making up a fictional 4 team, 12 player combo deal, with cash and the mythical players to be named later. Obviously, to anyone who knows hockey, Parise was the prize that year. 20/20 hindsight makes it easy to be a great hockey mind.

I don’t get the knock on Sutuer. His D is tops, he’s an incredibly efficient performer and the way he shuts down angles and minimizes chances can only be appreciated by people who know hockey. Which of course is why so many are always calling for dumping Suter…

The Wild’s D last year was the main reason they were able to build a points lead that go them to the playoffs despite the late slump. IMO getting to the plyoffs is never a bad thing despit the Minnesota complex many people have, I look at it like all games your team is playing are better than being a non playoff team fan sitting there watching someone else’s team play.

Grouse

I agree, Parise WAS a good/exciting/leader type of player, but his hardnose style has gotten the best of him the past few seasons…Hopefully he can get back to the player he was, but the odds will be against him every year from now on…

Suter has been a great player since we got him, his slightly reduced minutes have helped improve his game and the more our d-men get experience, the less pressure will be on Suter.

Bottom line is that the Wild NEEDED to make a splash in free agency to get the fanbase excited, Parise and Suter were arguably #1 & #2 options at the time.

We really needed the shot in the arm a player like Kaprizov could have given us next year… hopefully Kunin can have a big impact this season…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 1,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.