MN Fish post on FB

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

MN-FISH Receives $74,000 to Improve Boat Accesses, Fishing Piers as it partners with US Forest Service and DNR for lake access projects within popular Chippewa National Forest.

Walker, Minn. (February 7, 2021) — The nonprofit MN-FISH Sportfishing Foundation & Coalition announced today it has been awarded a $74,000 grant for boat and fishing access improvements within the Chippewa National Forest.
    “The Chippewa is home to many of Minnesota’s most famed fisheries, including Lakes Winnibigoshish, Cass, Bowstring, Leech and dozens of others,” said MN-FISH Foundation president Ron Schara. “This reflects the MN-FISH mission.”
    MN-FISH will partner with the Chippewa National Forest and Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in the boat access improvements. The funding will help cover the cost of personnel, heavy equipment and building materials as needed for improving boat ramps, docks and fishing piers.
    Potential Spring 2022 projects are many, including repairing ice damaged ramps throughout the National Forest, and upgrades to others.
    “Fishing is one of the biggest draws to the Chippewa National Forest,” said Todd Tisler, Fish & Wildlife Service Manager for the US Forest Service. “We want all anglers to have a positive experience here. A big part of that is to provide well-maintained accesses and fishing piers.”
    Funding for the MN-FISH grant came from two sources, including the Forest Service’s Secure Rural Schools Title II program, which distributes a portion of Forest Service revenues generated through multi-use activities for special projects that include infrastructure maintenance and protection, restoration, and enhancement of fish and wildlife habitat. MN-FISH applied for and received a Title II grant.
    MN-Fish seeks greater state reinvestment into the state’s world class fisheries, which generate about $4.2 billion annually in economic impact to the Minnesota economy and supports more than 27,000 state jobs.
    “This partnership is a true collaboration between several stakeholders,” said Kacie Stanek, Area Supervisor-Grand Rapids for the Minnesota DNR. “We’re excited the be part of it.”

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Will they post a list of lakes they may do improvements to other then the obvious ones they already mentioned??

This gets close to home since we have a cabin there and there are all kinds of “lesser” lakes that could use access work.

Just asking, not meant to be combative.

I’d contact the grand rapids fisheries and ask but I don’t think they like me now!!🙄🤭

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’m assuming the Forest Service and MN DNR will select the lakes. Contact the local DNR office near your lake and pitch your access.

CaptainMusky

I’d contact the grand rapids fisheries and ask but I don’t think they like me now!!🙄🤭

Why? Have you been combative with them? LOL

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Please don’t take this negative, but with the cost of today’s projects, what can we realistically expect for $74k? I’m nearing the end of my house build and just signed the final change order to cover the overages for things that were allowances in my contract and it was close to $60K.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I agree that it is drop in a bucket but 74K more then the MN legislature (with its billion dollar windfall will contribute).

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Please don’t take this negative, but with the cost of today’s projects, what can we realistically expect for $74k? I’m nearing the end of my house build and just signed the final change order to cover the overages for things that were allowances in my contract and it was close to $60K.

That’ll cover diesel to get equipment there

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Why? Have you been combative with them? LOL

maybe!!! waytogo devil rotflol

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I agree that it is drop in a bucket but 74K more then the MN legislature (with its billion dollar windfall will contribute).

True story, my hope is this all goes to boots on the ground and not for permits, studies, and red tape to dump some class 5 on an old ramp.

When I read “personnel, heavy equipment and building materials”, I hear the sound of a cash register loudly ringing.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m assuming the Forest Service and MN DNR will select the lakes. Contact the local DNR office near your lake and pitch your access.

oh I will. waytogo I battled them 2 years ago. The lake we have the cabin on had severe winter kill 2 years in a row. I dogged them and I sent there responses to all the landowners to dog them. In the end they did go check out the lake but told me money, short staff blah blah

Our access is in good shape so I’m not worried there.

stevenoak

After a $70,000 study. That will leave $4,000 to put up some signs warning there are weeds in the lake.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That could buy a lot of “kayak access only” signs. mrgreen

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

MN-FISH Receives $74,000 to Improve Boat Accesses, Fishing Piers as it partners with US Forest Service and DNR for lake access projects within popular Chippewa National Forest.

Walker, Minn. (February 7, 2021) — The nonprofit MN-FISH Sportfishing Foundation & Coalition announced today it has been awarded a $74,000 grant for boat and fishing access improvements within the Chippewa National Forest.
    “The Chippewa is home to many of Minnesota’s most famed fisheries, including Lakes Winnibigoshish, Cass, Bowstring, Leech and dozens of others,” said MN-FISH Foundation president Ron Schara. “This reflects the MN-FISH mission.”
    MN-FISH will partner with the Chippewa National Forest and Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in the boat access improvements. The funding will help cover the cost of personnel, heavy equipment and building materials as needed for improving boat ramps, docks and fishing piers.
    Potential Spring 2022 projects are many, including repairing ice damaged ramps throughout the National Forest, and upgrades to others.
    “Fishing is one of the biggest draws to the Chippewa National Forest,” said Todd Tisler, Fish & Wildlife Service Manager for the US Forest Service. “We want all anglers to have a positive experience here. A big part of that is to provide well-maintained accesses and fishing piers.”
    Funding for the MN-FISH grant came from two sources, including the Forest Service’s Secure Rural Schools Title II program, which distributes a portion of Forest Service revenues generated through multi-use activities for special projects that include infrastructure maintenance and protection, restoration, and enhancement of fish and wildlife habitat. MN-FISH applied for and received a Title II grant.
    MN-Fish seeks greater state reinvestment into the state’s world class fisheries, which generate about $4.2 billion annually in economic impact to the Minnesota economy and supports more than 27,000 state jobs.
    “This partnership is a true collaboration between several stakeholders,” said Kacie Stanek, Area Supervisor-Grand Rapids for the Minnesota DNR. “We’re excited the be part of it.”

Whats the second source or did I miss it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.