lewis and clark

• riverking
    se iowa

going to be fishing L&C in about two weeks time(may 19-21) out of crofton, ne. this is the first time i have ever been on L&C and would like to target walleyes. any pointers, areas to concentrate on, etc.? i’ll have a boat and am set up to troll, jig, cast, whatever it takes to catch fish. any info would be very much appreciated! thanks!

mike means

Riverking,

There is a NWA Tournament there the weekend of May 15/16th, so I believe information is not going to be flowing until after that. If you are headed to Crofton then you will probably be putting in at Weigand. Watch the posts after next weekend because there will be some good info on here after the tournament.

Mike

riverking
    se iowa

thanks for the heads up. will do.

deerslayer13

If these is your first time up on Lewis and Clark .You might want to stop over to the south Dakota ranger station at mid way. Get your self a real good map of the lake. This time of year try the area between Charlies creek and Tabor point . Start deep then work shallow. Try crawlers and spinners . If you like flicker and #5 shad raps they should like them to .Slower the better for the crawlers .From 1.80 to 2.5 the cranks will work. If you like jigs . They always like them. The channel come close to shore by the white buildings on the north shore. Real good place for walleye and saugar. You might also want to try the Nebraska side just head directly south of charlies creek you will find a bunch of flats or humps .. If there. you will have the time of you life. They like 9 to 12 foot there, thats where the may flies are. the closer est you go toward miller creek . The deep the flats or humps are. Most get the fish there with cranks ,but live bait works to… I do not think they will be down in front of weigon yet. But they might. All around miller creek should be fair to good . But by going up west toward the river current and in the river should be the best. Good luck. Have fun.

mroberts
    Nebraska

My father inlaw and his buddy fished Weigand last weekend and only caught three eater walleyes. I think they were vertical jigging. I did produce some big fish for us last fall in late november. They live in clearwtare so they fish up there alot.

deerslayer13

I was up this past weekend . The river was a low. Had a very hard time getting in to it from the Nebraska side. The new shuts are the way to get up in the current. But than there’s no where to go. All sand and mud bars. We saw a guy pick up 2 nice keepers on the drop off just east of the collinies. Couple guys trolled the flats . They said the fish were not there yet. We finely managed a limit of 8 sat.. They were in the humps out in front of miller. Crawlers and purple willow blade spinners. Is all we could get them on. Sunday morning we got a tip at at the shell station to try the first bay west of the marina .I think its called hobby cat bay. Tried shallow got 2 small ones went 2 the deep break there and worked west as far as we could go in the 30 mile hour east wind . Could not see them on the locator but were we limited out by 10 am with some real nice eaters. Turned 2 big hogs back.. It was well worth fighting the wet weather and that hard east wind. We are going up next week end and enter that walleye tourney at the sportsman’s bar in niobrara. it’s a fun tourney and fishing has been real hot up there. Not hit and miss like the lake.

riverking
    se iowa

thank you! will put all your suggestions to work next week. very much appreciated!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.