Gavin’s Point Dam Tailwaters Report, 4-20-07

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Just a brief report from Friday… I fished the tailwaters for about 5 hours Friday. I got 5 walleye/sauger, most under 14/15 inches but did find one that was 18 inches. Jig-n-minnow in 10-15 fow worked for me, but overall it was pretty slow. They did not seem interested in plastics as much on this day as they did earlier. Chartruese, Pink, and Orange were the colors that at least produced a fish or two. All were released except one for a meal.

I also had a few drum/sheephead take me for a ride, and a paddlefish spooled me. I caught two nice white bass as well. With the water temps on the rise, all the fish are putting up a better fight now.

I put in on the Nebraska side. The ramp is still in “okay” shape but not great. The wind gave me some trouble when I was loading the boat by myself. I got the prop into some rocks. It’s a good excuse to finally get a stainless steel prop on there. Just be careful and try to bring someone with you if you can. It sure makes loading and unloading much easier!

On a side note, I drove by the old Dam Bait Shop and see that it is now a BBQ joint. Anyone have any info on this?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the report Wade. I’d really like to get up there sometime soon.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I bet they serve BBQ Thanks for the report Wade NEW STAINLESS PROP

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I bet they serve BBQ

Hmmmm. I never thought of that.

Let me ask the question another way (so easy, even a turkey farmer could do it)…

Does anyone know if they are still selling bait out of that joint? BBQ minnows might be the trick come july.

Todd_NE

they were selling bait last fall

do yourself a favor and go to captain norms or preferably CJ’s on the Lake. It’s on the way to Weigand

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I’ll find out and let you know about the Dam Bait Shop.

JD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Todd, It is totally different now than it was just a few weeks ago. Last time I was up there on a Saturday and sat in the parking lot at 8am. No one was there. No sign. Nothing. I waited a while and no dice. Went to Norms (good place with a healthy scoop o minners). This week, I had no intention of going there, but drove buy and it had been remodeled and turned into a BBQ joint. I wasn’t hungry (for once in my life) and kept driving. I’m just curious about what’s going down on the Nebraska side. Turning a bait shop into a BBQ joint? Something funny’s going on in Husker land.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Here is your chance Wade

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Here’s the answer to the Dam Bait Shop. The name is now something Mikey’s BBQ. They do still have the bait shop area with minnows, chubs, leeches, and crawlers. They are open Tuesday to Saturday 7am-9pm and Sunday 7am-7pm. Not sure on the close time (didn’t really care) but wanted to know what time they opened. Kind of thought 7 was pretty late to open the bait shop.

BTW, the BBQ smelled absolutely great. Too bad it was early afternoon and I had just had a Sub 2 hours earlier. I will have to try it out sometime and report back.

JD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I may help you with the BBQ report. Be glad to do my part…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.