My WY hunt

• jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

WY is such an awesome place to hunt and this hunt took us 4 years to get tags ! 5 of us buds headed out for the bow season and we came home 2 for 5 . We all hunted hard and all had a chance at a elk . From one missing a big 5×5 to me hitting a bull of a lifetime and not finding it ! I was just sick about it and looked for him for 2 days
    to find out we had other hunters in the area . I would guess they jumped him the day I hit him and ran him off the mountain !

Well with this tag they give you a chance at the gun season also if you don’t fill your bow tag .. So 3 of us headed back out with 2 tags in hand . The first morning we spent most of the time looking for elk and looking yet again for my big bull from early in the bow season .
    Bad weather set in and we couldn’t see 20 yards . ( first day was a bust ) 2nd day we woke up with a foot of snow and knew this was not going to be a easy hunt at all . We all figured if we can get down some of these packed with snow roads to glass would be our only chance at finding
    them .. We ended up finding 3 good bulls and 6 cows so we took off up the hills after them . 4 hours later we ran across them and the other shooter missed and the game was over ( we are now 5 miles from the truck ) so one guy heads back to get the truck and us 2 hunters kept going in the area that these elk went . Seen them one more time with no shots taken . But on the way down the mountain we are real sure we found the big bull I had hit in bow season Rack was GONE

Day 3 we got hit with another storm but that didn’t hold us back at all as we went out looking to cut tracks and put a game plan together … We found 6 sets of tracks crossing a old road and took after them . After about 3 hours we jumped them 5 bulls with 2 good ones and 3 smaller guys . We kept after them for another hour running into them one more time but it was the back of the pack and my last p.m. to hunt so I took the bigger of the 2 bulls I could see . He is a busted up 5×5 and no monster but it was a great hunt and plenty of meat in the freezer ! Our other hunter also scored the next morning on a big cow !

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Jason! Way to keep after it! I’m guessing you still have that first bull on your brain. Great job capturing the beautiful country out there with those pics!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

One thing WY sure does right is the ability to convert rifle tags to archery. Love that!

Sorry to hear about the loss of the big boy. Hopefully those elk steaks you got will make the pit in your tummy go away.

rangerforme

Fun hunt. Did you guys hunt BLM land or Wilderness just out of curiousity. WY you need to hire a guide to hunt Wildneress correct?

woodenfrog
    se mn

Nice hunt and story!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Way to go Jason sounds like a great Trip with a lifetime of memories

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.