Who will apply for wolf tag?

• mohr

that happens to me a lot

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I plan to put in form this hunt and spend as much time chasing them as I can. I think we will try to get a few miles into the BWCA, do some camping, possible winter depending on weather, and put in some time to get one.

Am I the only one who thinks this would be an absolute hoot!

I can’t wait and will be applying as well.

This will not be an easy hunt, but it would be an incredible experience to give it a try.

I’m not sure exactly where I will hunt if I get picked. I have 3 different locations in mind where I know of a solid wolf population(Macgregor, Ely, Northhome) but the final location will all depend on whether or not we are allowed to bait.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I would love to but have no idea where I would hunt.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll be applying. I love the idea of BWCA trip!

wallster
    Austin, MN

I’ll be trying. Would love put time in the woods looking for a wolf to pile up. Effie area would be where I would hunt. Only BC thats where we deer hunt and know theres plenty of wolves around there.
    Wallster ><((((>

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I will be putting in for a tag

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

For sure

coppertop
    Central MN

Sure hope it would overlap w/deerhunting season.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

I will apply and i know of about 12 others as well…..all close friends….will be a tag team effort if drawn and we wont to call them in vs a bait pile etc…..excited to see what the actually regs will be..but a wolf pelt would be amazing….

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I just read the proposed tag price of $9x.xx for WI’s bill that was proposed. At almost $100./tag, I’ll pass. Based on the Jan 2011 fur auctions, the Average was $88.08 with a high of $170. This was for Section 1 fur only. If you take a lessor section, the pelt may only have value to a taxidermist or personal use. I can definitely see having one tanned for personal use, but don’t know how much ! would be willing to travel to trap 1 wolf

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

I will be applying, as well as several other guys I coyote hunt with. I think it would be awesome to have the opportunity to hunt wolves. All I know is if I ever get lucky enough to harvest one, I will have a spendy taxidermist bill

johnee

MN Republicans are pressuring the DNR to have an wolf season that overlaps with the deer hunting season AND to slash the tag cost to (I believe) $26 dollars (from a DNR-proposed $65).

If the season overlaps with deer AND if the tag cost is less than $50, I will buy one.

IMO, the MN DNR is being WAAAAAY too conservative and they are being overly concerned with the thing that is LEAST likely to happen: Over-harvest.

I would invite any DNR manager to go into the field next week and to hunt at least 12 hours a day anywhere in MN and see how long it takes to even see a wolf. Never mind getting within what would be effective killing range, just try to see one with your own eyes. That should finally drive reality home about how “easy” it will be to hunt wolves.

My prediction is that in the first year of hunting, assuming an overlap with deer season, less than 250 wolves will be killed by hunters. Trappers may get more, but the idea that “overkill” will be a problem is as laughable as the ultra-low population estimate the DNR is using.

Grouse

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Applying for tags is one of those things that always escape my best intentions. When are we going to be able to apply and can we make sure there is plenty of chatter on the forum so I don’t miss it? What a mount, I saw a beast of a wolf 2 seasons ago that would look so good indoors , mostly black with silver tint and had to be pushing 90 pounds !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.