Pics from a friend out west

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The following photos are all from the 2011 season so far. This guy is a stone cold killer with his bow. Every year I look forward to seeing what he comes across. Thanks for sharing your photos with us “easterners” Lucas!!

He ran across this guy while chasing goats.

Started the season properly with a speed goat.

Then he turned his focus to WY mule deer.

This year, he put his girly on her first ever bow kill. Not bad.

He also helped Ashley kill her 2nd big game animal with a bow.

Now he could focus on his own elk.

Last but not least, one of my favorite photos he shared with me.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Wow! When does his tv show air? He’s got some good things going there! Congrats to him.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I love that rubbed up tree in the 7th pic. That had to been incredible to watch

kooty
    Keymaster

His quote “I watched him work that tree and bugle for 15 minutes.” I would probably pass out from the adrenalin.

Hopefully Lucas will sign up and share some of his wisdom with us. He’s very humble about his success.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Wow, those are amazing. If I have an elk 1/2 that size make it’s way into shooting range with my rifle this fall I’ll be taking a shot!

Awesome pictures!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Simply awesome animals! Where does someone sign up for that guys life?? Congrats to the two of them, and hope to find them sharing their knowledge and experiences here.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Simply awesome animals! Where does someone sign up for that guys life?? Congrats to the two of them, and hope to find them sharing their knowledge and experiences here.

X 2! It looks like he’s livin’ the dream!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

“Stone Cold Killer” Dang I’d say so!!! Incredible animals!!

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Wow very impressive

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Glad you all enjoyed the photos and thanks for all the kind words.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Welcome to IDO Lucas. Looks like you are taking full advantage of the big game opportunities that the west offers Nice work on putting some very quality animals on the ground. bow: I look forward to reading stories, reports, and western big game knowledge from you in the future!

kooty
    Keymaster

Alright!! Welcome to IDO Lucas!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Awesome pic’s and Welcome to IDO Lucas

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Archery season closed here in Montana last weekend and unfortunately I still have a deer tag in my pocket. Good news is you can still bowhunt during gun season so it looks like I’ll be throwing on my orange and heading out with the gun hunters in search of a mule deer. With the rut right around the corner hopefully I can at least get some good photos.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Welcome to IDO Lucas and thank you for sharing your trophies with us!

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Friday after work I drove the 4 hours to one of my hunting spots with hopes of finding a good mule deer. However with the hunting pressure of rifle season open and the rut not going yet the big bucks were hard to come by. I hunted for 3 days but never seen quite what I was looking for, but that’s hunting and I’ll be back this weekend to try again. Here are a few pictures from my trip.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Ummm, what exactly are you looking for . I see some good bucks in those pictures. Good luck, I love seeing those big muleys Love the pic of the buck drinking.

kooty
    Keymaster

What do you estimate that deer in the 3rd pic to score Lucas? He is a tanker!

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

I don’t know what he would score and I hate to even guess. I’m no expert in field judging mule deer that’s for sure. Just ask my hunting buddies, they will verify that!

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

I closed out my Montana season with this buck this past weekend. I seen him earlier in the season and decided not to shoot him hoping to find something a little better. Since it was public land and gun season is open I figured I would probably never see him again. As luck would have it I spotted him early Saturday morning and watched him as he fed into some thick timber to bed down for the day. I hunted the rest of the morning and didn’t really see much else. I returned that evening and setup on a high spot half a mile away and began glassing. I seen a few deer but nothing very big. Then just before dark this buck came out of the timber in almost the exact spot where he had gone in that morning. I looked him over with the spotting scope for a couple minutes and I couldn’t take it any longer…I had to go after this deer. With light fading fast I made a mad dash to cover the half mile that separated us. When I got close I slowed to a crawl and spotted the buck feeding just out of bow range. Light was fading fast and I needed to cut off 20 yards real quick! I crawled on my hands and knees as fast as I could without getting spotted. Finally I ranged him at 47 yards. It was now or never. He was oblivious to my presence when I released the arrow. It found it’s mark and I was soon notching my final Montana tag of the 2011 season. What a lot of fun it was and I’m already looking forward to what’s in store for next year, but first I still have a deer tag in my pocket for South Dakota. So a couple weeks of work and then I’ll be headed east to chase those South Dakota whitetails around.

kooty
    Keymaster

Great deer. I can’t wait to see what you find in SD.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

wow great buck you definitely got it figured out

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

wow great buck you definitely got it figured out

X2, thats an awesome mule deer

prieser
    Byron, MN

Awesome Muley, Congrats

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.