Checklist?

• bowhuntmn

Does anyone else make a checklist before they hit big trips? I’ve been adding and removing each time I go anywhere, and this is my current list. I try to be a big minimalist, but I am BIG on quality gear. All of the gear I own is some of the best that I could afford/money can buy.

Look over this and see if I missed anything important? I am leaving for CO this fall and am beginning to pack

Camping:
    Tent/Stakes/Tarp
    Sleeping Bag/Pad?
    Toilet paper
    Trash Bags
    Pack/Camelbak
    Stove
    Canister
    Matches/lighters
    Utensils
    Dehydrated meals (length of stay?)
    Trail mix
    Clif/Snack bars/Oatmeal bars
    Bagel/Peanut butter
    Canned tuna/salmon
    Vitamins
    Water purifier/Tabs
    Baby wipes/sanitizer
    Toothbrush/paste/bar of soap

Survival:
    GPS x2
    Batteries (GPS/Flashlights)
    Flashlight (2-3)
    First Aid kit (from car)
    Glock?

Hunting Equipment:
    Boots (light/heavy)
    Ax
    Knives
    Saw
    Game Bags

7 day hunt:
    4 pair of socks
    2 Pair longjohns
    2 Hoodies
    3 Long sleeve tee’s
    Fleece lined jeans/carhart

Rain Pants/Top
    Blaze orange
    Hat/Gloves
    Gun/Ammo/Rem oil

bowhuntmn

Of course, I already packed Bino/range finder.

big_g
    Isle, MN

On my 7 day MT Elk hunts…. I bring over 20 pairs of socks. I change a minimum of twice a day, some days 3. Of course we do lots of walking. Nothing can ruin a hunt like wet, sweaty feet.

bowhuntmn

Socks are most definitely key, as is staying as dry as possible. What we typically do with socks/underwear is wash them in the stream and hang up to dry by the fire. I also use about two pairs a day, wash them that night and repeat. I used to bring about 10 pairs of socks on a 7 day trip, but I have just found that I can utilize that space for extra food, drink, etc. I have really, really learned to live on bare essentials in the mountains and make do with what I bring. I was just curious if there was something else I could incorporate, or leave at home.

asphixiation
    Stillwater, MN

Hunter’s deodorant and a headlight.

les_welch

Checklist no, Excel spreadsheet with everything weighed to the highest gram, listed out on a page for gear, food, and clothes all with running totals linked to each page and total weights on each page…..I guess I am OCD…oh well it serves me well.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Les makes a good point If you are carrying everything on your back, your list will vary from mine. I need to carry my stuff to a pick-up truck in my driveway… then unload the truck right outside the cabin door, 5 miles up in the mountains at our headquarters If I had to carry the stuff on my back, into the mountains… I doubt I would be bringing 3 cases of bottled beer maybe only 2

bowhuntmn

I am pretty weight conscious and somewhat OCD ( I have packed and re-packed my pack twice already ) and I can make do with very little. That being said, I pack a 4-season 9lb tent, a 5lb sleeping bag, and the rest is all ultra-light. I run a tiny Optimus stove and fuel and I carry everything on my pack that converts to a freight pack. We go in pretty far, set up, and hike out from there. I am trying to convince my dad/friends to convert to archery next year, plus trying to explore new territory in CO. LOTS and lots of hunters out there, somewhat tough to get away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.