Idaho Elk Herd is down 57% due to Wolf Predation

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I thought this was an interesting news release from the Idaho Fish and Game Dept.

My question is if wolves are capable of causing damage to an elk herd, what can they do to a deer herd?

Date: February 26, 2010
    (208) 334-3700

Idaho fish and game completes lolo zone elk survey

Recently completed aerial surveys show a marked decline in elk numbers in game management units 10 and 12, which comprise the Lolo Elk Management Zone.

Survey results indicate the elk population in the Lolo Zone has declined from 5,110 to 2,178, a 57-percent reduction since 2006. The greatest declines were observed in numbers of elk cows, calves and spike bulls. Overall, bull numbers were down zone-wide, with a shift in bulls to older animals.

“This survey, combined with ongoing research showing wolves are the primary cause of elk mortality today, is further scientific evidence of the impact wolves are having,” Fish and Game Director Cal Groen said. “The rate of this decline in just four short years should help people understand there is an urgency to manage for a balance in this area.”

Appropriate management options in response to this latest survey data are being explored.

Wolf predation is the major source of mortality on this elk herd and is affecting population size because too few calves are surviving to replace the adults that die each year. Predation is preventing recovery from a decline that began in the late 1980s and a steep decline following the severe winter of 1996-97.

This survey information corroborates ongoing research being conducted in the Lolo Zone that shows survival of radio-collared adult elk and six-month-old calves has been poor. Modeling efforts based on research survival data estimate declines of 11 to 15 percent annually.

Idaho Fish and Game’s aerial surveys of most elk zones are conducted on a three- to five-year rotation. Surveys provide estimates of the size of the population as well as demographic data, such as numbers of elk cows, calves and bulls.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Very scarey thought.

tmski

Yikes! Not very nice to think about……

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Very imformative post Darrin – thank you for sharing.

little_g
    durand WI

When they do go into a populated area we will have to hear about how thy kill pets just like the coyotes. People move into the wilderness then cry about what happens, not to single out one state but look whats happening in California.

les_welch

Quote:

I thought this was an interesting news release from the Idaho Fish and Game Dept.

My question is if wolves are capable of causing damage to an elk herd, what can they do to a deer herd?

Brad it’s not a question of what can they do, its not even a question of what are they doing? They ARE decimating our deer herd in the North. In the heavily forested regions of Northern Wisconsin where the wolves are present we are seeing our deer poplulations plummet. Not good.

tmski

Quote:

Quote:

Brad it’s not a question of what can they do, its not even a question of what are they doing? They ARE decimating our deer herd in the North. In the heavily forested regions of Northern Wisconsin where the wolves are present we are seeing our deer poplulations plummet. Not good.

Have to agree with that. The U.P.’s herd is also being decimated by the wolves. MI DNR will never say that, but when wolves are seen chasing deer through the local gas station parking lot what else is one to think?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.