Mn moose app

• john_steinhauer
    p4

Just wondering for those that have hunted moose in mn how many years you put in for a app before getting a tag this is only my second year putting in for one but i have had guys tell me they got one there first year

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

A guy I work with drew a tag a year ago. It was his groups 32nd year of applying………
    My neighbor drew a tag 2 years ago on their first try?????

I have put in twice and I feel at the rate moose are disappearing in MN, by the time I have enough points to draw, there won’t be a season anymore
    I hope it doesn’t turn out that way. Moose hunting the rut is one of the funnest hunts I’ve ever been on.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Same with me. Got a tag on about the 6 or 7th try back in 1993. Just happened to be a year or two after it went to once in a lifetime. Cousin got one on his 1st try. I sent an email to the DNR over a year ago asking about the possibility of holding a moose raffle here in Minnesota. It would be a great way for people to up there odds in getting a tag and raise money for studying the moose problem we have. It would also allow people who have gotten the (once in a lifetime) tag a chance to apply again. When I applied, we needed 4 people on the tag. Lucky for me, I shot a beautiful 48″ bull. Now the other people on the tag with me don’t ever have the chance of taking a moose in Minnesota

Still haven’t heard back from the DNR

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m done also. Drew on our 1st year if I remember correctly. Might have been 2nd I guess. Anyway, the BWCA hunts are easier to draw. Much, much tougher hunting.

Here is my recap from 07

2007 Moose Hunt

I’m still fairly at the moose, so I guess I’ll just have to head to Canada one of these years to invoke some revenge.

Good luck drawing!!

beetle

I was finally drawn a couple of years ago after over 20 years of trying. The zone that I Hunted is historically one of the harder zones to draw, although I talked to a couple of different guys that were drawn on there first try, so you never know. The BWCA is easier to draw, and there are some real nice Bulls in there, but as mentioned, the logistics of hunting in there can make it a very difficult hunt. I killed my Bull on the second to last day after spending the majority of my hunt fighting heavy wind, sideways rain and cold temps. He wasn’t the monster I was looking for, but I’m plenty happy with him, given the conditions and the decreasing number of Bulls available. Good luck on the draw, I wish I could go again.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I called the DNR a couple years ago and they explained that in MN we do not build up points for moose like we do for turkey or bear.

Thats why one guy might draw his first year and the next guy might wait 30.

It’s strictly a random draw but I do believe they have a seperate draw for people who have unsuccessfully applied at least 10 times and their odds are a little better.

Also, the permit is a maximum of 4 people – only 2 are required

beetle

Here’s a pic of my Minnesota Moose.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Awesome picture and moose beetle! Very cool that you took it with a recurve.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Awesome picture and moose beetle! Very cool that you took it with a recurve.

If I missed it I’m sorry, but was there a story behind this moose beetle? Congrats on a nice moose by the way.

beetle

I’ve never written anything up on it, other than what I put in my previous post above. As I said, the weather was terrible. Of the 2 weeks that I was there, I think there was only 2 days that it didn’t rain, and the wind never quit blowing, several days gusting to 30-40 mph. Not very good Moose hunting weather. My original plan was to pass on any smaller Bulls, hoping to find a really big one. After a week of hard hunting without even seeing a Bull, I realized that any Bull under these conditions was a good Bull. The second week I called in 2 different Bulls that circled down wind on me, staying in the timber without presenting a shot. One was about 50yds & the other about 30yds. I decided to set up in the heavier timber to try to prevent them from pin pointing my calling location so easily. That did the trick, on my second to last day, I called my Bull through the heavy timber, stopping for a shot at about 10 yds. I was very lucky in that he died only about 10 yds from a small stream, so I was able to get a small boat to him to pack him out. Although it was one of the tougher hunts I’ve ever been on, It was well worth it. I’d do it again in a minute.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Nice job Beetle sounds like a great hunt
    One I’m waiting to draw for

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice job Beetle And with the stick and string

sorgy
    Southwestern PA USA

My group was drawn for the 2006 hunt. We had been applying for 3 or 4 years i am not sure how long. We were drawn for the zone that runs from Ely to Babbit and on South.
    It was definitly a highlight of my years of hunting. I was lucky enought to hunt with my dad and my friend Bill who has hunted with my dad since before I was born.
    It was an awsome hunt. We saw a total of 28 or so Moose including 2 really big bulls. and I ended up taking a smaller bull with 4 or 5 days to go- listend to my dad a little to much- a young bull would be so much better eating We can’t go without shooting a moose– heard that one a lot He was getting a little tired I think- to many days up early and working hard. I took it at 8:30 AM – weather was 28 degrees and snowing– perfect conditions to cool down a moose—- I should have held out for the monster I saw 2 different times.

Someday I may even put together a story with the pics for you guys to read.

Scout Scout Scout — Early — Earlier and late in the day. Midday scouting is not where it is at.

Steve

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Sorgy – We would love to hear your moose hunt story along with some pictures!

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Some have heard this already but Meliss and I drew a tag in 2009 on our first try in Zone 24 and I would suggest everyone at least apply as it was the hunt of a lifetime for us. We never expected it to be so exciting!

By the way, look what showed up last weekend…Official score was 177 2/8″

tmski

Awesome! Nice looking mount!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow! It looks really nice!

I bet there won’t be a day when you walk up that stairs and look up without smiling.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Great Moose

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

That turned out mint Congrats again you 2

lick

Awesome mount

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.