Minnetonka Ice Fishing

• NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Hi All

Recently moved to Minnesota and looking to spend some time learning Lake Minnetonka this ice season. Information about the lake and where safe ice usually forms first would be great to know. I would presume there is quite a few current spots or channels that run through the lake. Are those marked during the Ice season at all? Also wondering how easy it is to unload/load at some of the boat launches with an ATV. I use a 5×8 Aluminum trailer to pull my ATV. Like I said before, any information would be a help.

Thanks!

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Nathan, I fished Minnetonka a fair amount last winter while I lived in the metro area. So I only got one year of experience on it. My advice to a Minnetonka newcomer is to treat each bay like it’s own individual lake, if that makes sense. I believe Carson Bay is usually one of the first bays to freeze, and there is a spot at the boat ramp there off of Minnetonka Blvd to unload the trailer and park it too. Spring Park right by the Sheriff’s office has a spot to park and unload, I have no idea on the ice condition over there though right now. Maxwell Bay and North Arm bay both have ramps that should work. I’m sure there’s lots of others places too, I can only comment on the ones that I have been to.

As for bad ice, avoid any place where the lake narrows to head into another bay. Never ever drive under or near any bridge on the lake in the winter.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I live on the lake and could provide you with some ice reports as well as some advice on fishing areas depending on what you’re looking to target. PM me if interested

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Nathan Ryskiewicz

Hey Nathan, thanks for posting in the forums. My name is Nick Cox, and I would consider Lake Minnetonka my “home lake.” I have been fishing the lake for roughly 15+ years and I would say the last five years I have been fishing it pretty consistently in both open and hardwater. Just as @mnrabbit stated, it is important to treat each bay as it’s own lake. Just looking at a lake map of Lake Minnetonka can be intimidating to say the least. Although the ice has been sketchy this year, you can stick to the plowed roads (prior to this warm stretch) and you can cozy up on a number of community spots with your ATV and wheelhouse. Don’t travel through any channels with your set up, we had to help a guy remove his wheeler yesterday from about 3 feet of water under the Enchanted Island Bridge. The ice will usually form first on the smaller bays, Black Lake, Seaton Lake, Seaton Channel, and Emerald Lake are usually the first to freeze up and each offers easy access from off the roads. If you want to get out sometime and fish, we could do that. Between our forums here, and a social media page I run – you can find plenty of info on hot bites. Look up TonkaFishing on facebook and instagram. Don’t be afraid to get in touch with me either, always looking for a new fishing buddy!
    Nick

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2016-02-01-at-11.10.00-AM.png

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ive heard that its dangerous to drive on the backside and west side of spirit island along horseshoe reef. Also the north and west side of big island is notorious for unsafe ice

Rugbyguy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Resurrecting an old post…

I want to get the in-laws on some panfish this weekend on Minnetonka in the wheelhouse. Looking for a community spot that has a nice access point which can provide some daytime bluegill action and some evening crappies. Not looking for your secret spot, just a spot where action can be somewhat consistent, as fish of any size will make them happy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tim hurley

My schedule this weekend means I can only get out at night-what bays have a night bite (not sunset-night) Thanks

31lifer

Try Harrison’s Bay. Can’t miss where the fish are biting by the amount of house out there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do NOT drive through a channel out there with a car. Those pinch points have dangerously thin ice due to current and salt from the roads. Heck, I don’t even think I’d drive a car out there at all.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Do NOT drive through a channel out there with a car. Those pinch points have dangerously thin ice due to current and salt from the roads. Heck, I don’t even think I’d drive a car out there at all.

Damn near need an extension on the auger out there right now. Driving on the ice is not an issue right now aside from all the snow. I will concur though and reiterate that driving through the channels is never a good idea!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.