Minnehaha creek Sturgeon

• Deuces

Well they are from Edina so I would imagine their dad paid someone to stock it in the creek for the boys

Funny I laughed at this comment right away, but the more ya think about that stretch of water the more it actually becomes more believable.

There’s no way it’s going up the falls at minnehaha right? Well not to far north of there is Edina mill, and that waterfall ain’t no small one either, i bet that drop is 15′ high or so. Small pool at the bottom to id imagine splashes on a concrete pad. Do fish go down falls?

That’s probably the best thing to happen to that fish, now it can get relocated to where it belongs.

It’s a great story, kids on the video is priceless, the kid who’s been stalking it for weeks should get some type of conservation award, but it becomes a lil headscratcher still on how it got there for me…..

Deuces

Edina Mill pic

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190726-072204.png

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

On a side note to you muskie guys…I was told not to believe the muskie stocking numbers on ‘tonka. There were many more planted there then what shows up on the DNR records.

Unpublished stocking is real.

tangler
    Inactive

Edina Mill pic

I’d be curious to know if that dam ever floods?

Deuces

Even if it did it wouldn’t move that water level to much.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it’s one way or another, just very curious to how a fish that length and girth finds its way into a tiny creek like that between two decent sized waterfalls.

If it just happened by tiny tiny chance to be a mythical sturg from Tonka that took a jump from the falls down it makes the story that much better toast

glenn57
    cold spring mn

a little side story i heard on the radio this morning. apparently the DNR was trying to catch this fish using nets with no luck. some small kid was caught on tape asking the DNR guys why they couldnt catch it when those kids could.

nuttin like a good shot at the DNR folks from an innocent kid!!!!!!!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it’s one way or another, just very curious to how a fish that length and girth finds its way into a tiny creek like that between two decent sized waterfalls.

Agreed, there’s a bunch of theories out there, mainly based on it coming from Tonka, but I was unaware of the Edina Mill Dam. So that would lead me to believe it came from Harriet/Calhoun maybe?!?! Like I said before, so many questions lol

queenswake
    NULL

All in all, just a really cool story. It’s always good when a fishing story makes the news and reminds people in the state about an activity that used to be a lot more commonplace where every family had someone in the hobby. Fishing opener was a big news event with lines of boats headed north.

Glad to see kids being kids again.

Deuces

Yup. Close enough for me honestly. I came across that article blog thing on looking up info on the Gray’s Bay dam which is even further up than the Edina mill.

Got a sturg hanging around the access to the waters it was found in 8 yrs ago, with the same size abouts, it’s good enough for this guy. Sure looks to be dark in that pic back then too.

Only thing Id still be hesitant about is the Gray’s Bay dam if it has fish screens on it. But with the high water this spring it very well could have gone over too, but I stopped seeking anything more.

I hope the dnr gives some type of official kudos to the kids or at least that one kid for keeping track of it.

Deleted

Cool story. I caught a huge sturgeon last year on pool 5, 5’+ ….never got a pic tho cause the old timer I was entertaining couldn’t figure out how to snap a pic with my iPhone. Smoked some shovelnose sturgeon last year too. They are delicious!

Attachments:
    1. 75622DB6-437E-49BC-83D1-E1C5F6660297.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

They make a portable deer winch device that would pull sturgeon out quite nicely I imagine.
    doah

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

rotflol rotflol rotflol

These Kids are great waytogo

RRR- Hey klaws; I dare you to wrap a rope around it’s tail.
    Deano- Yea klaws, that’s how they do it on that Tuna show,
    RRR- Yea Come on Klaws,I double dog dare you.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.