Minn Kota Terrova to Ulterra question

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

If I want to move the boat 5 ft any direction I will stop the spot lock and move the boat and re-spot lock it again.

fishthumper, that’s what the jog feature is for. One push of a button and yer done. I use the jog feature a lot.

acarroline

Learning much from this and some other research, thank you.

Things I need to do with Ulterra:
    *Pair Iphone App with TM
    *Calibrate the puck (need to look this up)
    *Learn how to do a “reset” for when the TM has an issue with being deployed while moving or in current (need to look this up)

I’ve already downloaded the quick reference guide and will try the jog feature. I did some research on how to auto stow (hope to never have to!) by taking the cover off or the better option for me is to use the quick release mount and bring the whole unit in the boat.

It’s been mentioned that you may need to calibrate the a +1 or -1 for how quickly the boat moves in the jog feature…anybody know more about that???

blank

acarroline,
    The +1 or -1 can be two differen things.
    There is the heading offset for the heading sensor that you adjust after you install and calibrate the puck, ranges of +30 to -30.
    Then there is also boat scale adjustment which ranges from +2 to -2.

Here is the heading sensor installation and user manual.
    https://johnsonoutdoors.widen.net/content/vtwuth4c7e/pdf/

acarroline

Wow…few things to do:

*Pair Iphone App with TM; software update
    *Pair Heading sensor with TM, calibrate, then heading offset
    *Boat Scale adjustment
    *Learned and have reference guide for Stow Reset and Trim Reset

blank

Wow…few things to do:

*Boat Scale adjustment

Those middle two are easy to do and you shouldn’t need to do them again after the first time setting it up.
    The phone app isn’t necessary. It may be handy to have in case you happen to not have the remote or foot pedal with you, but using a phone as the remote would be my last resort. And personally I don’t do any software updates unless I’m experiencing any issues, which has been maybe once since 2017 when I got my terrova.

acarroline

Most of it looks pretty friendly, and I’m looking forward to getting out on the water and toying with it. I don’t use the foot pedal and plan to use the iphone app as a backup. I got his unit installed last fall after it was on another boat for 1 year, so not knowing what updates (if any) have been done I thought it may be the right thing to do, if there are updates out there. Heading sensor was installed in the starboard stern.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>
    Mines close too and MK is who told me to put it there.

Directly from Minnkota’s website:

“The heading sensor should be installed at least 24 inches form the motor itself.”

then they better tell their customer service people that. I know it says that in the book that’s why I called Minnkota. The customer service rep told me where to put it in my situation which is about I’d say maybe be a foot away from the trolling motor. it’s been there for two years and never had a problem.

B-man

Also worth noting, your heading sensor doesn’t need to “see the sky”.

You can mount it under the gunwale, in a compartment, under the dash, etc, etc.

Just keep it away from speakers, batteries and major power sources/draws/wiring (just like any compass)

To test your installation spot, place a regular needle compass there and see if it’s accurate/inaccurate.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>
    Minn Kota trolling motors with improved spot lock that included the heading sensor were first available late in 2017.

I was told direct by a Minn Kota rep. that the heading sensor has no effect at all on the spot lock accuracy. The only reason to even mount it was if you like and use the Jog feature. When I purchased and mounted mine last summer I did not even mount the Heading sensor at all. The jog feature was not anything I cared about. If I want to move the boat 5 ft any direction I will stop the spot lock and move the boat and re-spot lock it again.

The Minn Kota rep was of course correct. Improved GPS accuracy and use of the heading sensor aren’t related but GPS accuracy was improved and the heading sensor was first available in 2017. If you don’t need the jog feature when using spot lock, you don’t even need to hook up the heading sensor as others have said, but why not hook it up if you have it? It’s simple to do and it’s a nice feature that you paid for.

Mike m

I’m starting my third season with mine and so far have had only 1 issue . For some reason it lost its marbles and the lower unit wouldn’t turn to the correct position to stow , but it was an easy fix . You only have to turn it on once , it will shutdown itself off , I dont use the phone app , only the remote . If you fish the river you will like the jog feature , especially for fishing wing dams . Easy to mount and pair with the motor . Good luck

keith christianson

The gen 3 must be new 2023 or 2024. I had a 2022 ulterra and sold my boat this past January. On my new boat I just purchased I had another ulterra installed(non quest) and to my surprise the remote is totally differant. I was told my new ulterra has all the electrical updates the quest has? What ever they are. Does anyone know what they maybe?

acarroline

Had the boat and trolling motor out to Chamberlain fishing walleyes this weekend. A few updates and more questions.

Posted above…my things to do and updates

>>>Did this. I paired the phone and trolling motor early in the day. As we were waiting to take the boat out I did a software update from my phone and also on the i-pilot remote. Probably wrong order….see below.

>>>First thing I did after launching the boat. Paired easy, did my circles for calibration. The heading offset threw me and I don’t think I did it right, could only find info on doing this with the I-link (different remote). I found the area in options on the remote but how do you know what to set it at???

*Boat Scale adjustment
    >>>Similar to heading offset, only found how to do this for i-link not i-pilot. The link remotes essentially do it for you, mine gives you options to set it at but how do I know what to actually set it at???

>>>Learned it, have mine on a quick release mount and would do that as my option. Fortunately, I didn’t need this and hope to never need this.

New question. I mentioned that I paired the heading sensor and head unit then went fishing, later doing a software update. When I was fishing on day one the autopilot heading option worked well for keeping me on a drift line. Day 1 had stronger wind than day 2. While waiting at the dock to load at the end of day one I did the software update from my phone and from my remote. On day 2 the autopilot heading option had me zig-zagging on the drift line and wasn’t useable. Do I need to do a re-calibration after the software update?

Other question, with trim on the Ulterra, is this something the unit monitors automatically?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.