Minibike = OHM

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Would a minibike be legal to go on OHV trails? Is it a type of off-highway motorcycle (OHM). Or are OHM allowed on OHV (four wheeler) trails?

CaptainMusky

I believe you can only operate them on trails for off road motorcycles, not a trail that an ATV or SxS can use. At least that is what I thought anyway.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

The state trails are marked IME.
    As a general rule a SxS has less trails it can access than a straddle type ATV.
    Width restricts the Defender type of SxS from the more “technical” type of trails

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Edit: Very few trails for dirt bikes that I know of.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you google:

The 5 Best Dirt Bike Trails in Minnesota

You will get a list.

FWIW – I assumed they were legal on ATV trails. See them all the time on the Red Top trail near Mille Lacs. Guess not!

-J.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

The northern half of the state has quite a few trails. You can look at the dnr map and look at the legend for which trails you can ride. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/interactive_map/index.html. You will need an ohm trail registration sticker and spark arrestor. Children under 16 need to take the ohm safety training.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

If you google:

The 5 Best Dirt Bike Trails in Minnesota

You will get a list.

FWIW – I assumed they were legal on ATV trails. See them all the time on the Red Top trail near Mille Lacs. Guess not!

-J.

Red Top is atv/ohm shared.

Coletrain27

Some trails allow bikes and some don’t. I don’t believe a mini bike is legal on any of them since it’s not a registered vehicle and does not have state license and tabs on it

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Red Top is atv/ohm shared.

Good to know. It did not come up on my search list.

-J.

Coletrain27

. You will need an ohm trail registration sticker and spark arrestor. Children under 16 need to take the ohm safety training.

There is no registration for a mini bike that I’m aware of so your not gonna be able to get a sticker

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for all the information guys. Now I have the answer to give my son.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.