Mille Lacs Walleye (Garrison) Complete Remodel

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Story from the Brainerd Dispatch. (Click on the link to see video)

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/local/mille-lacs-walleye-sports-a-fresh-look-in-complete-remodel

GARRISON — For years, visitors to Mille Lacs Lake have photographed the walleye statue that sits on a pedestal in Garrison.

It is admired as one of Minnesota’s most viewed roadside attractions, setting the scene for the big lake.

This year, the Garrison Commercial Club decided it was time to redo the famous statue. The 19-foot long and 14-foot high fish was trucked to Hickory Lake Auto up the road on Highway 169 for a complete redo.

Larry Karpen, Hickory Lake Auto owner, said the statue was stripped and all the old paint removed.

The next problem his team encountered was how to replicate the subtle tones of the fish to look realistic and still retain some of the nostalgia associated with the icon. It has been 15 years since the fish was worked on by Hickory Lake Auto.

To help with the realism, a walleye mount by the late Ray Lasher, a local taxidermist, was positioned nearby so the team of Matt Durbin and Cliff Anderson could paint all the intricate details of the fish from the mount. An additive was used in the paint to give the statue a fresh “out of the water” look, Karpen said.

The Minnesota icon will be delivered this week to its spot at the lake lookout in Garrison for everyone to see.

AnotherFisherman

Thanks Jon! Looking forward to seeing it on my drives up north again.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Looks good.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I wondered what happened to it when I drove past last weekend. Thought maybe they were replacing it with a smallmouth bass. jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It’s weird driving by,
    and it’s gone.

LabDaddy1

I wondered what happened to it when I drove past last weekend. Thought maybe they were replacing it with a smallmouth bass. jester

Haha. Or adding a spear in its back… chased

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It is back as of last weekend.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

and there was a few dumpsters outside of the “Y” so I’m hoping they fire it back up. Pun intended.

Ripjiggen

Noticed that to EPG. Late fall it look like the roof was damaged or caving in.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Anyone get a current picture of the walleye? See if they did a good job

big_g
    Isle, MN

When I go through M-F its dark… or I would. They are currently dismantling the Rocky Bottoms at the Y building this week. Talk about a different look on the drive by !

Ripjiggen

If they are dismantling it, that must mean something is being built.

Ripjiggen

Anyone get a current picture of the walleye? See if they did a good job

Pic in article above.

blakehreha

Does anyone know what they are going to with the property across the street? they just tore down “rock bottom” completely. Just curious if something new will go in.

Ripjiggen

I heard a roundabout but have no idea how much truth to that.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Roundabout, you are correct.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.