Mille lacs this weekend

• Alex Fox

Was looking to get out on the north end of ML this weekend, but just noticed the wind is going to be howling out of the north. What are the chances we end up with a crack and a Red Lake style rescue out there? Last I saw they were saying 4 inches out of Red Door.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would fish south of Indian Point to be safe. it will protect the ice sheet from a North wind.

FinnyDinDin

It is certainly possible. Seems like there is always a crack on the north end just out from shore and the wind looks fierce.

If it happens I fully expect the IDO Karen’s to be calling for fines.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Not sure the wind will move it now… its locked up. Rapid freezing may cause some cracks though. Every access on the north end had trucks this morning with portables on foot out about 100-200 yards from shore.

Aboxy17

Agree that Indian Point is a good option. That the whole west side is pretty safe at this point for foot traffic, I was there two weeks ago and consistently saw 5 inches everywhere, Fishing was good as well. Will be up in the cold on Monday. Biggest thing out there at this time is getting away from the crowds, which usually requires blazing your own trail. Be safe!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1920.jpg

Alex Fox

4 mph south wind today, 14 mph north wind on Saturday is what concerns me. I don’t want to be reading deeper and deeper depths on my flasher lol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We are so close to a ton of good ice right now. Most lakes will go from foot travel only to full size trucks pulling massive wheel houses in about 1 weeks time. Starting Fri. the Mille Lacs area has stretch of about 8 days where nightly lows are all below 0 and daytime highs not out of single digits. That will form a ton of ice rather quickly if we can avoid snow. Right now not much for snow in the forecast during that time period.

Ripjiggen

I wouldn’t be too concerned. You are only walking out to first break. If there is a crack that forms they will get a bridge asap on it. Red door guys will take care of ya. From the guys talked to the lake is locked up.
    If you are concerned go to one of the bays in the south where there is more ice. I’d be more concerned it’s going to be -40 below wind chill. Sounds miserable.:)

As always check with the resort before you waste your time driving there and then check in with them and they will steer you in the right direction.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The difference between Mille Lacs and Red is Mille Lacs is locked. Red wasn’t. Red Door started letting walking traffic out to the break today and others are as well. Wahkon area already has roads and are letting AVs and SxS out already.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.