Mille Lacs Smallmouth

• Mike Anselmo
    Wisconsin

It’s pretty common these days to see all the pictures of big smallmouth coming out of Mille Lacs, so I need to pile on and share a couple pics from my Saturday fishing trip with my dad. Fishing was good despite a mayfly hatch. The first 2 spots we fished had giant mats of them right on top of the sweet spot. We only took one fish but it was a dandy at the 20″ mark and completely full from gorging itself on mayflys.

The fishing got better as the day progressed. As the sun got higher and the wind picked up so did the bite. We took bunches off fish off each piece of structure we fished from 10a until 2p. Most of the fish we caught were 17″ or bigger. All fish were caught on either a plastic swimbait or a tube. 10-12 feet of water seemed to produce most of the fish, though there were several caught on the shallow high spots of the rock piles we fished.

It was great to fish with my dad on Father’s Day weekend. He pulled big fish honors for the day with a fish just over 21″ that put on quite the show with light spinning tackle. I’ve come to appreciate my time on the water with dad in a different way since my son was born 2 years ago. I can only hope my kids fish with me 30 years from now.

Attachments:
    1. Smallmouth-1.jpg

2. Smallmouth-2.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Nice report! So many of us are so driven to catch fish…more and bigger that we tend to overlook the true gifts that our pursuits offer. Time spent with dad, mom, kids, grandkids, grandparents, brothers, sisters, friends…while spending time on the water is irreplaceable. All added to our personal treasure chest!
    BTW, Nice smallmouth…that always is the cherry on top of the cocktail. woot

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.