Anybody in the Kalamazoo area, need info for 12yo

• carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Anybody in the Kalamazoo area?

Daughter getting married next weekend,
    which give me a 12yo step-grandson.

As part of welcoming him into the family, I’d like to connect with someone in the area for some fishing info. Being from Minnesota, I don’t know much about the area lakes and streams. I’d like to plan a short evening on the water or find a couple shore fishing spots to take him for some action.

He has never been fishing, so I am setting him up with some good basic gear.

PM me, or post some info. here.

Hoping to make this a special weekend for Sam, make him feel like he has some great times ahead.

I am hoping if all works out and he gets into fishing, I’ll send my Canoe home with them later this summer and then maybe I can take him to Canada next summer.

Thanks.

We’ll be out there Wednesday thru Sunday, but fishing options are Wednesday or Thursday, possibly Sunday.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

I dont fish up that way but they have a place called D & R Sports Center which is in Kalamazoo. The number is 269-372-2277 or 800-992-1520. They post a fishing report so I would think they could point you in the right direction.

chirp
    Rochester

Carroll, sounds like Sam is getting into a pretty good situation. Good luck to ya and Congrats.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Thanks guys, I’ll check those out.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Hope D & R Sports can help you out and get your new family member on some fish. Congratulations on your daughters wedding.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

how did this turn out? what a cool story!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Turned out great.
    Sam caught a few small Sunnies, and got a personal Tour of the Fish Hatchery West of Kalamazoo
    Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery
    34270 Co Rd 652
    Mattawan, MI 49071

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52259_28277-22498–,00.html

Sam got to learn all about the species of fish, see the hatchery operation with Trout Eggs, Fry and Fingerlings and then got to feed fish in the Ponds. Wish I could get out there more and see him, take him fishing, etc.

I gave him his own wedding Gift, which he loved, a Nice Spin Cast Road & Reel, a Tackle box filled with a variety of hardware, lure, etc.

We spent quite a bit of time on the waters edge.
    I’m thinking for this summer, I may give them my Canoe, so he can get out on some local lakes and streams.

Thanks for asking.

Carroll

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That isn’t too far from St. Joe’s Harbor. PM me if you ever need any details on that toast

Philip Dembinski

Ma’am, in order to totally impress the boy, take him to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo a little south of the airport. Also, behind it is a space ship indoor display. Stand with him inside a space capsule. As a USAF vet, I take everyone there, and they are forever impressed. Watch a 12 year old boy’s chest stick out.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Phil:

We did spend time there too. That is where they had the Wedding Reception. Perfect as many of the young couples friends had young children (something like 30-35 kids 3-12 attended) that got to go on ride after ride all evening.

Awesome place if anybody goes to Kalamazoo and needs an indoor activity

Carroll

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.