LBDN Walleye bite picking up

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Carl Hartman and sonsfrom River Grove, IL. had lots of fun this morning even though cooling overnite temps. dipped and water temps. started at 68′ to 70′ and as through the north winds continued dropped to and around 55′.
    Snap-jigging 4 inch Power Grubs off 3/8 leadhead Northland Roundhead jigs took 7 keeper walleyes along with releasing a number of undersize fish as well several northern pike and smallmouth bass.
    They covered water depths of 12 feet and less with weed cover of cabbage and coontail.
    Then they set up and tried a different method of fishing, that of slip-floating for these walleye in the rougher waters off Center Reef, although having lots of fun earlier catching lots of perch and gobies but only one undersize walleye was boated.

walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Nice report Tom…..sorry I am such an idiot, but what the heck is a gobie?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Hey WalleyeAddict! Sorry about the late response but I was out of town for a few days at the EFN get together. The Goby is a non natural invader brought into the Great Lakes though the bilge pumps of overseas ships, like the Zebra Mussel and lamprey. They reproduce like crazy and eat up food that other desireable young gamefish need. Gamefish do eat them though. They can get up to 5-8″ long so far.

walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Thanks for the info. good pick of the lil devil too! I will be over for the MWC in Sept.Maybe I will get a “real” look at one then.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.