IDO Slammin Salmon Get Together:

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Gents –

Ben Brettingen and I are loading up and heading for Milwaukee in a few minutes. I’m a first time Lake Michigan salmon-nube. Anyone willing to point us in the right direction on where to start? We’ll be at the South Shore landing around 3:30 AM Friday morning and plan to fish all day. Anything we uncover will be shared with all Slammin Salmon participants if anyone is interested.

So, anyone have a good starting point to share?

Thanks in advance guys!

James,

As others have said, you’d be wise to check the skinny water off the checklist first. Plenty of cold water in close and the worst feeling in the world is finding out that you ran right over the fish… Heading out of the south shore lauch, you can either go left (north) or right (south). North will take you into the harbor itself and then out through the S. Gap. Keep your eyes peeled on your electronics as you roll through. If you see good temps and bait or fish, would be worth spending a little time right there. Ive ofen banged a few right there in the am, especially pre- dawn. Sometimes itll go all day. If you go south, you will find an opening in the breakwall which we call the “fair weather gap”. The “green can” is straight east/ south east from there. The can marks the edge of a reef\ point that comes out from shore and the can is on the tip in about 25fow. Dumps into 60 pretty quick from there. I usually start around the can and work my way south. Lots of stucture down that way and I will typically just ride that break from 30-50 and out from there. If nothing for awhile, turn around and try working a north troll. Usually its all about what direction they want it. If you go north from the green can, you’re into the abyss of Milwaukee bay. Not much structure that way but some wrecks here and there. Now you definitely don’t need stucture for salmon fishing but with cold water in close, sometimes it concentrates them.

Im doing my best to sneak out of work early today and trying to get out for a few hrs tonite and do a little recon myself. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions.

Nate

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Nate, at one time I thought I read something about maybe meeting down by the launch Friday evening. Does anyone know if that is still a plan? I hope to be in town by 7:30 or 8 at the latest. If nothing else I was maybe going to make a “dry run” down to the launch to make sure I knew where it was at before the 3AM run down.

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave,

I don’t think anything was ever really decided about that. I know James had mentioned something and I threw in my two cents, but never really went further than that. I’d still be down to get together for a bit Friday night, but its really up to everybody else. Otherwise, I’ll probly just be hanging out at home most of the night, so if people want to swing by, Im fine with that.

rjmoore_33
    Eagan, Mn

What Marine channel will everyone be on?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Hail others on 68 and then switch to 78 to converse.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Just curious…..
    What is the total headcount? )

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Planning on going out in the morning 4am-noon if anyone wants to hop in let me know

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

James, there is a big under water point to the south of the green can towards the oak creek power plant that extends a ways out from shore and gets fairly shallow. If you have a chart of the lake it is obvious as you head south. There are many rock piles/reefs near that point that seem to appear out of no where if you travel over them. I catch coho and steelhead off those reefs and by traversing the deep edges of the point. The point can really redirect the current in that area and it seems to attract a lot of fish when cold water is near shore. I have done well there in the past and did well on coho there this year. East of the point there are more rock piles that attract fish as well in 70-80 feet of water. There are a few deeper in 100-120 FOW as well.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

James, there is a big under water point to the south of the green can towards the oak creek power plant that extends a ways out from shore and gets fairly shallow. If you have a chart of the lake it is obvious as you head south. There are many rock piles/reefs near that point that seem to appear out of no where if you travel over them. I catch coho and steelhead off those reefs and by traversing the deep edges of the point. The point can really redirect the current in that area and it seems to attract a lot of fish when cold water is near shore. I have done well there in the past and did well on coho there this year. East of the point there are more rock piles that attract fish as well in 70-80 feet of water. There are a few deeper in 100-120 FOW as well.
    Trolling NE at 60 degree heading has worked well and reversing course back 240 in parallel paths has worked every trip I have made this year. Some days a 30 degree troll us effective as well.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Just curious…..
    What is the total headcount? )

In my boredom at work today I was trying to figure out how many brownies my wife has to make for me tomorrow and I counted 20-22. She was still in a good mood after I asked her to make sweets so I don’t think I’ll be bringing broken Oreos afterall.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjmoore_33 wrote:</div>

Hail others on 68 and then switch to 78 to converse.

You can also hail on 9 and switch to 78 to converse. 16 for emergencies.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Well, this should make everybody’s skin crawl a little more tomorrow. Big Kings are on the chew!

Attachments:
    1. DSC01643.jpg

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Well fellas, just got home from washing baits out there from 4 pm till 8:30, and not even one hit. Fished around Saturday’s waypoint, but stretched out the range from 65 fow to 100 and back, then hung in the 70 to 80 foot range, and nada, generally east of the green can. There were a few fish being cleaned when we landed, but most news was “slow”, with several skunks reported. The frustrating part is that we had some good marks and baitfish pods in the 70 to 80 foot range again, as we did Saturday, and kept working it, changing baits, but couldn’t get them to go.
    Good luck for those fishing tomorrow, and see you all on Saturday.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Lake Michigan sunrise – makes a guy feel good to be alive and thankful we get to do what we do….

Attachments:
    1. 20140725_052751.jpg

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Well, this should make everybody’s skin crawl a little more tomorrow. Big Kings are on the chew!

Nice fish! I better get my chainsaw back from from brother… don’t think my walleye fillet knife will do much good on a fish like that.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Five for five this morning:
    2 browns, 1 King, 1 coho, 1 laker

Attachments:
    1. 20140725_072835.jpg

2. 20140725_065341.jpg

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Nice chunky fish there Gary! Just a heads up for everybody… The normal exit to get to South Shore from 794 was closed today and I’m guessing will be tomorrow and Sunday as well. Just get off on Oklahoma instead, take it east (right) til it ends at Superior. Go north (left) on Superior and take that to Nock. The launch is on Nock St.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Ended last night 3 for 7. Darn steel head would stay hooked up on the 3 and 5 color flasher flies. Lakers galore on the 3 color crab face moonshine after dark. Kept one 11.4 lbs after beefing bled out. Pushed 12 on digital on board. 2 kings 8 and 12 pounds.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

A beautiful day coming to an end

Attachments:
    1. 20140726_201841.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 91 through 108 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.