30 hours to the OPENER!!!!

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

It’s only a day and 1/2 away and we all should be ready. Respooling with new fishing lines, sharpening hooks, live-bait/jig choices ready along with making sure our boats and motors are all functioning proper, having proper life jackets and all other necessary equipment to making this a safe and fun opener!

Bay Conditions?

This past week many of the bays population of walleye have finished their spawning activities but there still exists a good number of fish in the rivers and flats still in their process.

Water surface temps. are running in the mid 40’s and warming each day with higher sun. Water levels have increased a bit this year over the past several years due to the amount of snow and runoff this past winter and spring.

There still exists good amounts of flow coming out from the river mouths of the Whitefish/Rapid/Tacoosh, Days and Escanaba Rivers creating good feeding areas at these confluences.Weedbeds are sprouting up now in the many areas of the bay such as Nelsons Bay, the inside bay between the Days River and Kipling, off of Butlers Island and many areas south of Gladstone.

All the launches are water ready including the Kipling Launch, Hunter’s Point, Gladstone Yacht Harbor, the “new” Escanaba River Launch. The Rapid River Launch can be used by smaller boats, the Ford River Launch is seeing boat traffic out of it, use caution.

The Cedar River Launch is open and ready as well, before long the completion of the large Harbor will be done.

Fishing ideas?

My best advice would be to concentrate efforts on the shallower waters of the north end of the bay in particular the river mouth and flats areas. Don’t overlook the weedbeds and deeper water might surprise us as well it did me last year.

If the opener brings us a cloudy, overcast day I’d also think about fishing the very shallow waters of the sand along the east and west shorelines south of Gladstone. I’m thinking there will still be concentrations of fish along these areas and also right off and on the breaklines as well.

Fishing presentations for shallow off color water?

I prefer small jigs;(H2O Precision & FinTech NuckleBall are my pets) in bright colors(chart,lime, flo red) in sizes of 1/4 or less tipped with crawler pieces,leeches and smaller minnows. and don’t forget the plastics either. Check the links below to B-Fish-N Tackle for Ringworms and SuperDoos.

Phelps floaters tipped as above mentioned using bottom-bouncers,three ways and Dubuque rigs can account for some good fish and cover lots of water.

Trolling also maybe an option as well using crawler harnesses off bouncers and mid-range running crankbaits like #5 ShadRaps or #8 HuskyJerks.

Best advice right now is putting a game plan together, move and locate fish and then work those active fish and moving on without working any areas too long without strikes.

We’ll keep you posted as always again this year with photos of catches, types of baits being used as well wanting to share and listen to your reports as well.

Wishing all of you the very best of fishing this upcoming Saturday, being careful, safe and above all else having fun!!!!!! http://www.bfishntackle.com/ http://www.fin-techco.com

tom_gursky

Here’s a nice LBDN eye from opening day last year caught by Rich Clarke from Palatine Ill.

tom_gursky

Two more that fell for 1/16 oz jigs pitched in 5-7′ of water on opening day 2003.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.