MHX rods

• Ryan Scholl

Has anyone on here built up a rod with Mudhole’s ice rod blanks? Kits are pretty inexpensive. I have retied guides, and made some handles, but haven’t built a whole rod yet. Thought this could be a good starter.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have there $16 MHX 28″ and the 30″ one they call a quick tip. I like it better for perch and walleye not as thin as a Thron bros QT.

The 28″ is a good pan fish/perch rod and the 30″ is a good perch/walleye blank.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Ive built on most of their blanks, they are pretty good. I don’t use the kits. I buy a 1″x5″ cork handle and fly eyes as I don’t like reel seats nor the heavy A frame guides they send you. Basically to put the rod together this way is about $32-$35.

Feel free to PM any specific questions you may have about a blank and I can do my best to let you know how it fishes. Last year I bought almost every ice blank they made so I actually had a feel its power and quickness.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve built a crap load of them. I think the one thing most guys find with them is that they are stiffer and a little heavier than they thought they’ll be. As stated, I don’t use their kits.

milemark_714

I have made several with both Mudhole and Janns blanks.Kits are meh,and I prefer the carbon handle.Best guides I have used are Janns Flexilite and Pac Bay wire single foot fly guides.I have made them with the blanks as-is,but ended-up tweaking them to desired taper/action.

Not a fan of ice rods that flex in the handle,the carbon tube is light,durable and super sensitive.Not cheap though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.