Metro Walleyes

• matt

I have been doing pretty well for Walleyes on a couple of lakes west of the city.The fish I have been after are in shallow water and biting good about an hour before dark,after dark I will get one or two stragglers in an hour or two.However these stragglers tend to be the bigger fish.When these fish show up you better be ready as there is little to no warning,they are rarely on the flasher for more then a second or two.Had five keeper sized around 14″+ on the ice before sundown,with the usual 3-4missed hookups and a couple 10″-11″s tossed back.Figured I would leave with my 6 in no time.Well I thought wrong.I had bigger fish on 4 different times and got 2 of them rite under the ice.I couldnt manage to keep the hooks stuck in any of them.Jigging Raps or Swedish Pimple with a minnow head took the most fish,only one caught on the set line.I left the lake with five,not bad few hours spent on a Tuesday nite.

Attachments:
    1. 20141202_210619.jpg

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Not bad is an understatement! That’s a nice set of Eyes, good and chunky too!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Nice mess of fish. Tasty also.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

very nice catch! how deep where ya fishing?

matt

Thanks guys.Its been fun getting into them especially when they come out of no where and hit.The element of suprise they have over me has saved a few from being on the table!! Id say its about 5-6ft of water and shirnking pretty quickly with the ice growth we have had over the past few days.I fish really super shallow (2-4ft) night fishing all open water season but never gave it much of a thought for the hard water portion of the year.Glad I checked it out,gives me a ton of new ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.