Metro LMB size?

• dirtywater

What’s a big largemouth for a metro lake? I’m not a bass fisherman by any stretch but got into some today on a metro area lake, largest being a fat 19 inches. Solid multi species day all around, with some pike (harvested some snot rockets, you’re welcome), perch, and crappie mixed in. Couldn’t find the walleye which didn’t surprise me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

19 inch largemouth is a darn nice fish for anywhere in the north. Certainly much better than the average size lgm bass here. If you weigh in five 19 inch largemouth in a tournament here, you would do well. Course you can’t use live bait though in bass tournaments, you didn’t mention if you were or not.

dirtywater

Haha. Yeah, good thing I’m not competing — was testing out the new slip-float setup and got it on a fathead. It was my first time out in the boat this year so it felt good to have some action. Time to go clean some pike!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Id say anything 4lbs +. Lots of 2-3lb fish out there but a true 4+ is hard to find in most metro lakes. Minus tonka.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

5 lbs in the metro is big. You can find 3-4 lbers in many lakes in the metro. It’s not really easy, but they are there. 5 lbs is a true nice bass in this area. High 5’s and anything over 6 would be a trophy.

Another thing….If you’re going to measure bass, measure them by weight, not length. Nobody in the bass community cares if your bass is 20 inches. Bass guys always care about weight. Not trying to be a dick, just telling you how it is.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

5 lbs in the metro is big. You can find 3-4 lbers in many lakes in the metro. It’s not really easy, but they are there. 5 lbs is a true nice bass in this area. High 5’s and anything over 6 would be a trophy.

Another thing….If you’re going to measure bass, measure them by weight, not length. Nobody in the bass community cares if your bass is 20 inches. Bass guys always care about weight. Not trying to be a dick, just telling you how it is.

I don’t think most have a scale in there boat. Length is just fine. I don’t think he was trying to impress the bass community

dirtywater

I do have a scale but rarely dig it out. And I’m not trying to impress anyone, least of all people who fish for these things intentionally devil Really was just curious how big they get around here.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I didn’t say it to imply that, but that’s just how bass people think. So when you ask about how big to bass get in an area, if most bass guys will give you weights not length.

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

I do most of my fishing in or near the metro, and I consider anything in the 3lb range (~17 inches) to be a really nice sized bass. My biggest out of a metro lake is 21.5″

Also, I realize it is a much smaller segment of anglers, but the growing kayak bass fishing world cares only about inches, not weight, and tournaments are won by 5 fish x total inches.

There are a variety of online charts/calculators that estimate weight based on length using millions of fish as historical data; some even add in a “fat/skinny/average” component to further dial in a good weight estimate.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

As far as inches and pounds, I’m flexible. Either is fine by me. This morning I recorded a true dink as 10″ as opposed to the other pound-to-pound and half fish I was getting on topwater and jigs.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Like other have said. There are a ton of Metro lakes with many bass in the 2-3Lb. range. I’d say any bass over 4 Lbs. is a nice Metro ( Or any place in Minnesota ) bass. As far as telling people weight or inches. I’m finding more and more people using the inches when talking fish ( Even hard core bass guys ) The inches to Lb. conversion can really vary from one lake to another based on the build of the bass from various lakes. That said I think this conversion is fairly accurate:

17″ – 2.8 Lbs.
    18″ 3.4 Lbs.
    19″ – 4Lbs.
    20″ – 5 Lbs.
    21″ 6.4 Lbs.

Like I said there are many factors that may effect this Like Time of the year, Age of the fish, Food source in the lake, Ect. But I think this is generally fairly close.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

OK fine. I don’t care about inches. jester

Charles

Drive over to Lake Auburn and see if you can find a big one.

tim hurley

Metro fish are right in there with any other area in the state-Other species not so much but greenie can be big if they can dodge the bullets grin

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t think most have a scale in there boat. Length is just fine. I don’t think he was trying to impress the bass community

I have a scale but rarely use it. I primarily measure the fish I catch, which includes bass. I can do it a lot quicker and then release the fish. Many formats are now based on length instead of weight, for multiple species.

tim hurley

Me too, happy with anything 17 or more, consider 20 to be 5lb & brag worthy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I have a scale but rarely use it. I primarily measure the fish I catch, which includes bass. I can do it a lot quicker and then release the fish. Many formats are now based on length instead of weight, for multiple species.

Same. I only put the scale on the ones worthy and honestly it’s just a measurement and throw back 90 percent of the time. The weight of every fish is kinda lame. Handle a fish for 3 minutes instead of 30 seconds

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Who takes 3 minutes to weigh a fish? Modern scales have the fish grip style clips right on the scales and literally take 5 seconds to weigh and save the weight. Actually takes me less time to weigh a fish than it does to have it flopping all over a board trying to squeeze that extra eighth of an inch to round up. not to mention you’re losing the good fish slime that fish have because I know you aren’t dipping your board in the water every time you put the fish on it.

Each way works just fine and does the same amount of good and bad to the fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Part of the problem with weighing fish is that not every scale is calibrated properly. What yours says and what mine says could be significantly different. Unless a universal scale is being used at a weigh in site, weighing fish is not the same by everyone because we all have different scales. Length is a much more universally accurate means of measurement. An 18 inch fish is 18 inches on everyone’s measuring board. That’s why regulations use length, not weight.

I have no doubt that mahtofire takes care of his fish and weighs them properly and quickly. The problem is many don’t. I cringe every time I see someone still using a scale with one of those metal j hooks.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I cringe every time I see someone still using a scale with one of those metal j hooks.

Those are walleye anglers that happened to catch a nice bass. Whether it’s scales or bump boards I think we can all agree that other than maybe muskie anglers bass anglers treat their catches the best.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Whether it’s scales or bump boards I think we can all agree that other than maybe muskie anglers bass anglers treat their catches the best.

Yes, I agree. Most scales do come with a clamp now. But for years it was that metal j hook. doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Who takes 3 minutes to weigh a fish? Modern scales have the fish grip style clips right on the scales and literally take 5 seconds to weigh and save the weight. Actually takes me less time to weigh a fish than it does to have it flopping all over a board trying to squeeze that extra eighth of an inch to round up. not to mention you’re losing the good fish slime that fish have because I know you aren’t dipping your board in the water every time you put the fish on it.

Each way works just fine and does the same amount of good and bad to the fish.

We both know it’s at least Double plus to weigh over measure. I do both and fully understand. I’m just talking common fisherman
    I guess I didn’t mean one is worse. But for the common fisherman I bet clamping weight for lock, then saving takes more time then a quick lay pinch and toss

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t see how clipping a bass’s bottom jaw, waiting 5 seconds for a weight, then putting them back in the water takes twice as long putting a fish on a bump board and getting a correct measurement by keeping the fish still and pinching the tail? Common or experienced angler.

Either way I sabotaged this thread into a pointless argument for which I apologize…. jester

LabDaddy1

17-19” is a pretty nice fish. 20”+ is a great fish. Helps when they’re thick and healthy, or even fat…

Not a bass fanatic really but I do appreciate them. They’re all fun to catch. I mean, they are a sunfish technically and sunfish are known for their fighting abilities. Except these sunfish will eat a big muskie bait and can sky or dog you on medium-heavy gear…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.