Metal storage buildings

• Bird
    River Falls, WI

I am building a 40×56 metal storage shed in the River Falls area. So far I’ve looked at Cleary, Morton, and Northland. Anyone have any insight into the local builders for these 3 companies. Did they go a good job etc… just looking for pros and cons on the companies and their local builders.
    Also anyone use Wick or Lester buildings?
    Thx in advance.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I can’t speak for local builders, but I have a coworker that has been very happy with his Morton shed. I think he said his builder was out of Monticello, MN.

Rusty Setter

I have a Morton and very happy with it, I had a small leak after 14 years and they came out looked at it and fixed for no charge, the crew that built it was out of Grand Rapids.

JoeMX1825
    MN

What’s a ballpark price for say a 30’x30′ Morton shed? $20k? $50k?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

What’s a ballpark price for say a 30’x30′ Morton shed? $20k? $50k?

I had a 24′ X 36′ built this last summer and the building was about $25k. I paid and electrical contractor and additional $4k to run power approx. 250′ to the building, add a 70A panel and some user power outlets inside the building. The big cost on the building was 2 – 14′ X 14′ roll up doors.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For comparison – I just built a 30 x 60 stick framed garage with 4 OH doors, 6 pella windows on 4/0 frost wall w/ thicken slab for a future car lift – 2/0 over hangs, allumin soffit/fascia – vinyl siding-LP Trim and the price tag was $56K

JoeMX1825
    MN

Should you always put a cement floor in? I’m guessing that’s not cheap either… is that typically part of the original build price?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Should you always put a cement floor in? I’m guessing that’s not cheap either… is that typically part of the original build price?

My building had both a concrete floor and good size concrete aprons at both ends. One could do a gravel floor. The concrete aprons can be sloped to drain so that you don’t get water flowing into your building.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Some pictures of my build:

Rick Janssen

I once worked for Cleary here in Iowa so of course I am going to tell you they are very good buildings. I think the Morton buildings are also nice, but for the difference in price (Morton is HIGH) I would stay with Cleary. I don’t know your local builders, but I do know that Cleary hires and TRAINS their builders to do it right. A big selling point with Cleary was that the poles were NEVER spliced together like Morton does. Either company builds good buildings.

Concrete is NOT needed at the time of the build, You can do it now or if you want to wait, do it later. If you really want to go deluxe, put in the concrete floor with HEATING !!!

?????

I am putting up a shed now and have the pricing for Norhern MN . I got pricing from Morton, Northland, Structural, Menards package and a local guy out of Clearbrook. 48 x 48 with 14′ walls 2 12 x 14 OH doors a man door, 4 windows and a concrete floor. Bulding $26K, floor 9K, OH doors 3K then the site clearing that will differ from location to location. I am an electrical contractor so add another 5K for wirng and it should be complete. Cold storage only no lining etc… Man O Man sure is easy to spend money. O well who needs to retire anyway.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Has anybody built the building where they pour metal brackets for the poles into the concrete instead of drilling holes?

?????

Yes we have wired a few like that for churches etc… But with the new building codes that will happen no more where there is inspections. No more thickened edge slabs one must now put in a full frost footing. No more floating slabs either from what I am hearing from some friends that are builders. Everything just got more expensive. The purpose of the poles on top of the slab was that they did not move as much and worked more like conventional framing from my understanding.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

“no more floating slabs”
    Makes no sense since it is a non structural element. I live in ground frost territory and the pole footings just have to be deeper than the frost line. The footings are pier footings and not a grade beam.

?????

Remember this is for Minnesota and a pole shed will not apply due to the facts that you just mentioned. If you build a framed building then the rules apply. Sorry I was not more specific before.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.