Mercury Bigfoot Efi

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

The first cruises in the new to me pontoon have gone well. The motor seems to run well. As with any used purchase I have the wheels turning of why it was traded in. Hopefully to upgrade to something more modern and not to dump a problem. Boat came with a basic 30 day warranty on the motor and pontoon. If it was dumped due to a problem I’d like to find out before day 31. Motor seems pretty common it’s an 08-09 Mercury bigfooot 40hp efi. Wondering if anyone is familiar with any common problems with this motor I should look for.
    Bobber fishing on a pontoon with the kids and niece catching her first fish talk about good times.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Back in the mid or late 90’s I bought a 25hp Merc that a resort had traded in to Hallberg Marine. I honestly can’t remember what year the motor was. Anyway I used it a few years and sold it to a buddy who ran it until last year. He sold it to a buddy of his and it still runs perfect. I believe the repair costs TOTAL would be under $100 throughout all those years. There are take-off motors floating around for several reasons and not all of them because the motor has problems or was a lemon.
    Now that you have had it out a few times and it continues to run fine just relax and keep pursuing that “dad of the year” thing you have going on! toast

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Good point Dutch. I should’ve added that it seems to vibrate/almost shake at very slow speeds but when the throttles increased it goes away. I chalked it up to probably nothing but of course nervous with a new purchase and that have to go through some shallow shallow water to get out from the dock. When it’s not raining I’ll have to test it out more.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I had a Yamaha with the variable RPM setting where I could dial the RPM’s back when I wanted to slow down. Thing would shake like a single cylinder. jester

I’m sure you will be fine. Since you have shallow water just be sure you get a good stream and you don’t tilt the motor up to far when heading in or out.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have an 05 40 hp Bigfoot on my toon. I have ran it hard every year since. Just put it in yesterday and it still purs. I change oil once a year. Mobile 1. Plugs once. Gas filter once. Impeller first time this year. I lost a rectifier 2nd or 3rd year. It’s a beast. 14 years never towed in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.