What did you catch first time ice fishing?

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Took a buddy fishing on pool 4 Saturday and we had a great vertical bite with plastics. This was his first time on pool 4 and he had a blast. Brought home a few eaters and threw a few bigger ones back. Thanks for the tip Dean

While in the boat we were talking and he had never been ice fishing. We were both free today (Sunday) so we dicided to hit Menomin and see if we could get a few crappies or perch. The bite was not on fire but he had a heck of a day. After bringing in a northern and a small walleye on the tip ups we settled in and got ready to jig about an hour before dark. I had the LX-5 in the middle hole and we were both jigging on the outside holes. This worked great! After about 10 minutes the fish started showing up on the Marcum. I saw a nice mark run up to his jig off the bottom. He says “I think I got one!”. Next thing I know he is in the middle of a great fight. The drag is screamin so I assumed it was another northern. After he played the fish for a while letting it run when it wanted he got her up to the hole. I said “that is no northern!” After it go a look at the hole it decided to head for the bottom again. After another good fight he got he back up to the hole and I went in after her to pull out a plum 27.5 inch walleye. We both freaked out

After getting a measurement and a few pick we sent her back down the hole. I’m pretty sure he wants to go ice fishing again

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Nice job and great looking fish.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

That’s a toad! Way to put him on fish

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

what a way to start an ice fishing career..way to get him hooked for life…now the spending starts

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Way to go, great fish. And to think I got hooked on ice fishing with a 5″ bluegill

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Nice fish. Did you warn him this might be the best it will ever get?

mikee
    Aitkin, MN

I didn’t get one of those!!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

That is going to be a tough one to beat.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Congrats! I think you caught the token big walleye in Menomin.

I didn’t look down at the pics…thought you were going to say big whitebass…

I HOPE you did explain that it won’t always be that easy.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Just one more reason to put that big girl back. She is cleaning house on those little white bass. She coughed a few up when we got her on the ice. It was nice to be able to talk to him about why we needed to release the fish and then I told him he may never get one that big again! When we talked to his big brother, who is one of my close friends he told him to “just walk off now”. My brother told me to “stuff him down the hole”.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Sweet fish Russ! I did not get your message until later in the day Sat.(no cell phone coverage at home), glad you guys caught some fish. This is the biggest walleye I’ve seen out of Menomin in a while-hope it’s a sign of things to come!

Jeremy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.