Menomin Slabs

• stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

With the weather being too nice yesterday, a co-worker and I decided on an impromptu afternoon trek. I really wasn’t expecting much, but hoping to find a few perch to keep attention while soaking up the sun.

First spot didn’t yield many marks, but quickly found crappies on the second spot. Called back to the office, and 2 others joined us. I was already planning to pick up my son from school, so he joined us as well.

Between the 5 of us, we kept 30 slabs and 2 jumbos. Easily threw more than that back. Fishing 14-15′ deep, and not around the big crowd further off Camp’s Point. Biggest two were just over 13″, and plenty in the 12″ range. Color of plastics didn’t seem to matter much for a while.

It was by far the best day on Menomin for me this year…hopefully of sign of things yet to come late ice.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Heck ya Stretch! Excellent Job!!

Maybe I need to come back and start another 4 years of school, specializing in Lake Menomin 101 of course

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

I think a trip back to the old stomping grounds is in order this weekend.

Great fish, that one is a hog!

Chrisb
    New Trier, MN

God I miss that lake

Use to skip a lot of class chasing those paper lips around that lake! Nice Job! I managed 11.5 inch sunfish out in the same area you are talking–you guys find any of those this year?

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Way to go!! Looks like I should have played hookey yesterday too.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Not hookey, Russ…Strategic Planning Initiative.

The best part was when my 7 year old…after pulling 4 consecutive fish from the same hole as fast as he could get the line down says…”Dad, this is too easy.”

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I haven’t hit any really big gills this year. The fish kill last spring seems to have affected gills the most. I sweat they have been replaced by tiny white bass…

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Way cool Stretch, sure have been a pile of guys out there on the main lake.
    I have recieved information that dead gills were seen in Asylum this winter on the bottom of the lake. The DNR wardens were contacted on this issue. We will all have to pay attention right at ice out to see if things end up like last year. The eagle population on the lake this spring will let us know.

doct
    Wisconsin

I’m seeing a lot of small (4″) white bass coming out of my ice holes. I’d like to see the ice covered with crappie slabs like those in the picture.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.