How Long Yet?

• stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Ok…any guesses with the forecast for when we’re able to walk out on Butch’s Bay? Cut-off? I’m hoping for another week or so.

I was planning to leave the office a little early yesterday to get the boat winterized and tucked away before the cold snap. Having computer issues…I said screw it, left about noon, and took the boat out one last time. Headed out onto Upper Tainter, Hay River arm. Was surprised when coming under CTH D to find the entire flat covered in skim ice. (We’re getting close!)

When the sun finally got higher about 1:30, ice retreated to the north so I got out on the flat. Only had about an hour, but put 7 walleyes in the boat before running out of leftover minnows. 4 under 15″, kept 16″ and 19.5″, and threw back 24″. Tried paddletail for just a bit, but nothing on that. Nice afternoon to wrap up open water fishing.

Come on ice!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Sounds like a fantastic way to wrap up the open water season Stretch!

I’m sad/disappointed in myself this fall as my time on Menomin was really cut short. My final semester here at Stout really wasn’t near as relaxed as I would have liked

Anyway, My guess is that we’ll have fishable ice in the cemetery by the 10th or so. For me, fishable ice won’t come until the whole lake is froze up. I cannot handle the massive crowds Menomin draws for first ice

Now for my next guess, the clunker will fall though the ice March 27th

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I haven’t been in Butch’s for early ice previous years…so I’m thinking the circus show might be kind of entertaining no matter what the fish are doing. Maybe I’ll bring the boys along, feed them Coke and Skittles, and let them wander around and make new friends.

Clunker? Nah, I’m thinking more like April 14th…need better late ice than last year. Just when the fishing was getting good…ice gone.

red89
    Hudson

I don’t know about you guys but butches bay didn’t produce very well early in the season last year at all for me. And I was standing on an inch of ice in some spots… so its not that i wasn’t there early enough. Too much pressure? idk. but looking at the temps, should be soon next week. maybe you could push a canoe out this weekend.. lol

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I haven’t fished Butch’s thru the ice, but reports from last year were slow. I think early ice was slow in general around here…Cut-off was hit and miss for me the couple of times I made it out there.

Like Pete, I prefer the main lake anyway. Don’t think we’ll be driving out before Christmas this year though.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I’ll take a winter of 40 degrees please—–pool 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hit Butch’s now with the boat and beat the crowds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.