Getting Closer – Lake Menomin

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I had some free time and hit the water this afternoon for a few hours. While the bite isn’t quite as far along as it should be, those 11 to 13 inch crappies sure make it hard to complain about the current bite.

I’m still trying to decided whether the crappie fishing or spotting 11 different deer walking along the banks was more fun and relaxing

Ya gotta like Lake Menomin

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

That’s it I’m calling Verizon, darn phone is not ringing

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Ron, Buddy, You’ve got a PM

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Ron, Buddy, You’ve got a PM

I hope that works better than my phone.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Nice report again, Pete. I’m hoping to find some time this week to take the boys out for some bobber fishing, but looking at the forecast…it better be tomorrow.

Is the green still thick out past the cemetary, or is it safe now to launch at Point Comfort?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Nice report again, Pete. I’m hoping to find some time this week to take the boys out for some bobber fishing, but looking at the forecast…it better be tomorrow.

Is the green still thick out past the cemetary, or is it safe now to launch at Point Comfort?

The Cemetery Bay itself is still quite green however Point Comfort landing seemed in good shape (depending on the wind).

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Great report Pete!! keep the pics coming.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Water temp is 54.8 degree and the crappies are still biting. 1/8oz BFNT Precision Jig’s with a fat-head minnow took my fish tonight.

Doc, Stretch, Woody, Have you guy’s been out?

Side Note… Has anyone else noticed a large amount of tiny white-bass this fall? I’ve caught more white’s ranging all sizes (mainly the short ones) than I ever have on Menomin.

Pic 1 – 13” Menomin Slabber
    Pic2 – Pesky bass

Pete

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I got out just a bit yesterday with the nice day…as for fishing? Not so much…

It was as successful as I could hope for with 3 boys age 7 and under. No hooks in fingers, no snags, and only a few tangles. I did get my own line out just a bit between the PB&J sandwiches and juice boxes. Boated just a few, enough to hand off the rod and let them crank in.

One small walleye in like 8′ of water fell victim to a crappie minnow on the Lightning McQueen pole. A bonus 16″ largemouth was fun to bring in for my littlest guy. My oldest tried hard to knock it off with the net, but it somehow stayed on.

I’ll try again when I find some time. I’m thinking the best is yet to come. Glad the water is clearing up anyway.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I got into big whities numerous days late ice last spring…really a blast as they would smoke a jig and set the drag screaming. Love those days where you pull 4 or 5 different species out of the same hole.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Pete, I’d never sell that little boat of yours–that thing has seen a ton of nice fish, keep up the good work.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Pete, I’d never sell that little boat of yours–that thing has seen a ton of nice fish, keep up the good work.

This boat is a different than the one I was using this spring, 2ft longer and goes faster. I’ve still got the older one tho

BradThornton

nice fish
    Just wondering how fishing is on lake Menomin right now

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

nice fish
    Just wondering how fishing is on lake Menomin right now

Welcome to IDO BStang!

To be honest, I haven’t been out as much as I’d like as of late. I was able to sneak out Tuesday evening for a very quick trip. Looking for crappies only resulted in a few small bumps and not much to show. If this weather tames down a bit there is a chance I might try and sneak out tonight.

Quick pic from Tuesday Eve

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quick update from last Friday…

I made it out for a little while (as long as one could stand that crazy wind!) and finally found a few walleyes. I was only able to fish for about 45min before literally being blown off the lake, but I did manage a 16” and 17” walleye in that time. It seems the traditional fall spots are starting to show a little sign of life for my boat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.