5-31 Multi Species

• stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I thought I would throw out a report since things have been slow on here. I had an afternoon alone, so I took the opportunity to head out without my “little buddies” and had much better action under bright sun than I ever expected.

So far this year, I really haven’t targeted anything besides crappie, and the action has been decent enough to hold the attention of my young sons. Today I ended up working a weed edge in a 4′-10′ transition on the windy side with a weedless jig and leech. In a couple hours, I put 16 walleye in the boat, releasing 20 1/2″ and 22″, keeping 4 between 15 and 19.” Most of the rest in the 14″ range. Also picked up 7 bass (12-15″) including one Smallie, and a couple slimy hammer handles.

Is anyone picking up gills shallow yet? I’m thinking it must be about time to pull out the flyrod…

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thank’s for the report Chris! Sounds like you did quite well

I should be out for a while this weekend chasing down some eye’s

Did you pull cranks at all?

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Nice report Chris, and way to target some eyes that most people miss.
    Pete, to answer your question, yes-the crank bite is finally starting. Due to the strong south wind yesterday, my little girl and I switched gears from finding gills to targeting some eyes-which cooperated nicely. We did not get into the size that Chris did (mainly small eaters) with 11 walleyes, 3 northerns (including one nice one approx 5-10 pounds), one snagged perch and one white bass. Not bad for a quick afternoon trip.
    Our cranks (which were picked out by a six year old) mainly were blue and purple in glass shad raps ran back 105 ft on 4/15 spyderwire stealth over 14-15FOW–these fish were not on the bottom.
    Here’s some pics from the day taken by my daughter and one of her running the boat. Might have a future tourney partner on my hands–my luck the boat color then will be pink, I am so happy they do not make pink colored crankbaits.

Jeremy

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I am so happy they do not make pink colored crankbaits.

Great Job Guy’s!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.