Lake Menomin Crappie Madness

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Well Guy’s, it’s sure getting close as all heck to the crappies jumping in the boat! With water temps ranging from 54-56 degrees, everything is setting up for yet another knock-out spring crappie bite. The last couple weeks I’ve been making it out daily or every other day to keep the bite in check and stay on fish. As of late these specks are finally making it up into the shallow water (2-3ft) during the day and slightly deeper as it gets closer to dusk. Most fish were caught using a minnow and jig or small treble hook under a float about 3ft under the surface.

Depending on who you talk to, it’s either feast or famine. Some folks are getting out there and hitting a limit in no time and others spend all day without a fish. I have a couple tips that have definitely helped me put more crappies in the boat.

1- Don’t be afraid to drift around dragging bobbers. Sometimes anchoring up can be an extremely effective method while targeting these crappies but I’ve had much better success during the day slowly dragging the bobbers around. During the evening it’s been a different story. Later in the day it seems the fish have been schooling up and if you can find one, more than likely they are stacked up there.

2- If you choose to anchor up (such as this afternoon due to the wind), move your bobbers. I cannot emphasize how much this improves the catching productivity. Today I was fishing 2 rods, 1 of which just sat out there and the other I was constantly casted and kept ‘popping’ the bobber and working it back to the boat. The rod/bobber that was moving caught over 3/4 of the fish boated today.

3- Don’t be afraid to stray away from a plain hook. While dragging the bobbers around I prefer to have a small jig with a minnow hooked though the mouth on the business end (Pic1). If you are having issues hooking up with fish, put on a small treble hook (Pic2). The hook in picture 2 was pulled off of a small rap I had laying in the boat and really helped increase hookups.

4- Hook-set’s are very important to be sure you’re not ripping the hooks clear out of their mouth. I watched several people tonight go hand over hand, white knuckling the rod, and thrusting it over their head. While this is fun to watch, it’s really not necessary for a 3/4lb crappie

Hopefully this report will help the guy’s having a tough spring crappie fishing on Menomin (or any lake for that matter). The fish are around and willing to take baits, it’s just finding the right combo of bait and movement to hit them steady.

I was fishing solo on the water today from 3:30-6pm today playing catch n’ release and boated 21 crappies, smallest being 10.5” and the largest at a hair under 12”. Currently the bite is steady, but will only improve over the next week, so get out there and test the boat for opener this weekend, but don’t forget the panfish rods

See ya out there

Pete

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Oh ya also… CJ&S Demon Spoon below a cork has also been a top producer as of late…

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Sounds like you really got them dialed in Pete

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Sound advice! Thanks for the report Pete.

bigpike

Good job Pete, got a little guide in your future??

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Hit the water with DocFrigo and boated around 30 or so crappies this evening

Doc Buddy, a pleasure as usual and I had a blast! We need to get out there again soon

Pete

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the trip Pete!
    We’ll have to get Don out there–bet he is at your door 3AM sharp Sat. AM. Better pack extra coffee.

Don Hanson

thats a good one! I just told Lienieman I was picking Pete up at 3AM on Sat.
    Besides being a Doctor your also a psychic!

pmk1500
    Elk Mound,WI

Guys,

Got out for a few hours yesterday morning (wed.) to hunt down those soft mouths. It took little while but finally managed to lure some to the boat. 1/16 chart. jig with minnow seemed to be the best. They seemed to be 1-2 feet off the bottom in 8-9 FOW. Nice to have the lake to myself. Oh how that will change!
    Doc, thanks for luring Don to commit to a time for Sat morning. Now I know how little sleep I’ll get.
    Save me about a 17′ area to squeeze the boat into.

Mike

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Guys,

Got out for a few hours yesterday morning (wed.) to hunt down those soft mouths. It took little while but finally managed to lure some to the boat. 1/16 chart. jig with minnow seemed to be the best. They seemed to be 1-2 feet off the bottom in 8-9 FOW. Nice to have the lake to myself. Oh how that will change!
    Doc, thanks for luring Don to commit to a time for Sat morning. Now I know how little sleep I’ll get.
    Save me about a 17′ area to squeeze the boat into.

Mike

Hey Mike, Good to hear you got on some fish!

As for Don leaving 17′ of room up there, now that’s a different story…

Don Hanson

I will be trolling cranks on the far south end of the lake.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I will be trolling cranks on the far south end of the lake.

Yep…

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

If you are doing hot down south end of the lake trolling bite, may I recommend downriggers and 12 inch reef runners!

Don Hanson

Doc, are you going to be anchored up at 11:30 tonight?

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Nope, boat is still in the shop (minor thing, but enough to keep it from the water) and found out no good in laws are coming for the weekend-looks like Sunday night might be my best shot.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Okay guy’s, Time for bed. 2am is going to come pretty darn quick

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.